Rebuilt CV Halfshaft Axle

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt CV Halfshaft Axle

I have now a rebuilt CV Halfshaft Axle on my C2 I am curious to know what is the common knowledge on the life expectancy of this rebuilt parts in our cars (Including some track use)

Just in case I am thinking on ordering a new CV Halfshaft Axle from Vertex to keep in my parts chest, ready to change it as soon as the rebuilt part breaks ...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hard to say what "rebuilt" means. If it's a good unit that's been disassembled, cleaned, repacked, and new boots installed, that's pretty much what we all do periodically. Especially on track cars. And at that point there are different-than-stock lubricants that come into play. (I"ll refrain from singling out any specific product, as I've used it all from the cheap to the expensive.)

Thing is, unless you're taking apart YOUR unit, you don't know what the housings, cage, and ***** look like. I've never seen dramatic wear coming from my stock engined cars, and I've never dealt with a joint that's had a split boot for any significant amount of time which would allow the dirt that causes major damage.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ken for your answer!!!!

My mechanic - who I trust very much - told me that he used for the rebuild the same technician he always uses for this job in all Porsches and Audis, but I don´t really saw the job done, when I picked up my car it was ready to go...
today I did my first short trip with the 964 after the rebuild and it seems OK just as before the noise appeared,I even went to redline a couple of times in second and no issues.

But I really wanted to know what the life expectancy this rebuild jobs has in normal use (not racing but rather solo racing events. 3-4 times a year)
Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get some parts back ?
Did they put new CVs on the axle ?
Or did they do a clean and lube of the old CVs ?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry Indy I picked my car up late on friday, so I don´t have answers for your questions yet, I have to go back on tuesday to pay my bill so I will try to get some answers then.
What they usually do is take appart the half axle, change or repair what is broken and reasemble everything again.
I don´t think they changed anything expensive since the bill is less than 200 U$S including taking the part to the rebuild shop and getting everything back together
Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

For 200U$S , I bet you got a clean and lube of your old CVs .
200U$S is cheap for removing an axle , cleaning , lubing and replacing the axle back onto the car .
I don't know what a new CV joint would cost in Argentina but here they cost $100 ish each .

If I am guessing correctly , your question is now ,
how long will a used CV joint that has been cleaned and lubed last ?
It is unknowable how long it might last , but CVs will last a long time even as they make a great deal of noise .
Old 08-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Indy you have to consider that here the hour of labour is cheap compared to first world standards, parts are expensive because you have to pay 100% more than the price in EEUU for parts (that includes a 50% import tax plus shipping expenses and 50 % tax on the shipping cost!!!!)

ASAP I will buy a new half axle, just for peace of mind...

Thank you very much for your help!!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I would not buy a new half axle if I were you .
If a CV starts to go bad , it takes a long time to go from starting to go bad to no longer usable .
While the CV on your car is going bad you will have plenty of time to get another .
If you want to have a spare CV sitting on the shelf , that might make sense .
The axle part of the half shaft doesn't go bad , so having a spare axle is of no real use imho .

The cost of labor in Argentina is seen in the price of the job being cheap .

Quick Reply: Rebuilt CV Halfshaft Axle