Sponsored by:

won't idle after cleaning ISV

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:16 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't idle after cleaning ISV

I cleaned my isv with carb cleaner and now car won't idle, stalls each time I take my foot off the gas. I sprayed and allowed it to dry for about a half hour. I took it for about a 10 mile drive and still same results. I can say while disconnecting the electrical connection, the metal clip jumped off and I couldn't find it. Other than that I don't know what the problem could be. Also I noticed while cleaning, the inside of the valve doesn't spin. I saw a video where the inside of the isv spins. Mine seems to be locked up. Any ideas?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:24 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can test it with a 9V battery, if it does not turn, try to clean it again. I don't know if carb cleaner is the best choice, but after cleaning you should be able to turn the cylinder with a screwdriver, but be careful not to scratch it. You mentioned a clip that jumped off, did you get that installed correctly?

Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the car run w/it disconnected? Once warm, you should be able to idle w/out the ISV connected if memory serves
Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I once fooled around in that rat's nest area and forgot to reconnect the ISV plug.
Sounded exactly as you describe.
Not saying that's the case, here, but...

Also, after cleaning the ISV with various spray-petrol cleaners my ISV's operation was a little balky at first. Perhaps yours, too?

And, lastly, rotating that inner valve barrel was the only way I was able to thoroughly/decidedly empty the ISV's innards of my spray-on cleaners.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Dsqr964
Instructor

There are some good threads in here about the ISV and cleaning it with the different outcomes. Just do a search for the ISV and cleaning; this should bring up a plethora of information. -D²
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

You need to get a magnet and find that metal clip for the connector!!!

First, you may have installed the ISV backwards,.......(its been done)

Second, this is a servo motor so it doesn't actually rotate or spin 360 degrees; it simply moves 90 degrees to open and close, allowing more or less air to bypass the throttle valves.

Make sure you have a solid electrical connection as that will create the symptoms you describe. That requires the wire to lock it together.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Originally Posted by crg53
You can test it with a 9V battery, if it does not turn, try to clean it again. I don't know if carb cleaner is the best choice, but after cleaning you should be able to turn the cylinder with a screwdriver, but be careful not to scratch it. You mentioned a clip that jumped off, did you get that installed correctly?

No, I didn't find the clip, will do as Steve suggest and get a magnet and fish around. I made sure the valve was installed correctly. Didn't try to idle with it disconnected. I'll mess with it in the morning. thanks for your responses.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

After completing the above, I would reset my DME - Unplug battery for :20 minutes and then go for a spirited drive afterwards.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you do a DME reset. Your car was used to idling with a dirty ISV, now that it's clean it needs to adjust itself. Simplest way is to disconnect the earth strap at the battery for about a minute, reconnect, fire up the engine, let it idle for a five minutes and then go for a drive using most of the rev range through the gears.

I see PorscheZen beat me by a couple of minutes!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

thanks again for all the input. I'll give an update tomorrow after I do more poking around
Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sub'd.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:34 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the issue is more with the missing clip causing a poor electrical connection. As Steve said, 'find it' and re-install. Cleaning the ICV should not cause the symptoms you are describing.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 PM
carby
Instructor

I did exactly the same thing.

- Removed ISV, metal spring shot away (I'll get that later methinks)
- Joyfully cleaned out all the crap with Carb cleaner
- Tested with 9v
- Reinstalled but forgot to reconnect the plug
- Started but no idle at all, fished around....cursed stupidity of not reconnecting plug...started and idled perfectly.
- Metal clip remains AWOL.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:49 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ISV installed backwards

Not to revive a 5-year-old thread, but I thought someone might benefit from a dumb experience of mine. As Steve Weiner said in this thread, if you're stalling after you remove and reinstall your ISV or for any other matter where you're stalling while idling, then double check the direction of your ISV!!! I reinstalled mine backwards for days before I realized the problem. I tore everything apart and discovered that the ISV was installed in the wrong direction. Readjusted it, now the car once again purrs. I wish I had seen this post earlier, but I stumbled onto the answer myself through trial and error and I thought I would share.

This is a simple and quick check for those of you baffled as to why the car stalls while coming to a stop or while idling. I read countless posts on AFM issues, vacuum leaks, bad idle microswitches, bad dizzys and ignition wires, resonance flap malfunction, bad throttle cables, bad DME chips, DME relays, etc. before figuring this out.

Quick Reply: won't idle after cleaning ISV