Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did 964 Cobalt Blue is same as nowadays 997 Cobalt Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did 964 Cobalt Blue is same as nowadays 997 Cobalt Blue?

Hi all,

I plan to repaint my 964 and seeking a new color to replace my existing midnight blue. I know that during 964 production period, cobalt blue is one of the colour option. However, in my country it was difficult to see a real 964 in cobalt blue on street. I reconised 997 have cobalt blue option, I see them in real and I love that colour very much. I wondering is the 964 cobalt is same as nowadays 997 cobalt?
Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

First: keep it Midnight Blue !.. best colour ever !

Second: I am pretty sure the 964 cobalt blue is the same as the 997, but you should look around for Cobalt, he can tell you.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
power_up
Racer

Originally Posted by Vifa
First: keep it Midnight Blue !.. best colour ever !

Second: I am pretty sure the 964 cobalt blue is the same as the 997, but you should look around for Cobalt, he can tell you.
You must be a midnight blue fans. LOL
thks.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They made 964's in something other than Midnight Blue???
Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

They look pretty darn close but I've heard the 964 version of cobalt blue has more of a purple tint/chameleon effect. It could be my imagination, but I think you can see this in the pics.

IMHO, I would stick with the original color to keep the car original...

http://picasaweb.google.com/10014007...eat=directlink
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Totally different color.

The earlier cobalt of the 90's was a very unique and difficult color to replicate. It consists of 10 colors (experts tell me the best colors of the glasurit line mixed together) It is much lighter in color overall with a lot of pink and purple metal flake in it. Color shifting is extreme depending on the car. I have never seen any 2 cobalt blue cars shift the same. Some shift far more than others. I have been told mine shifts more than most they have seen. Of course only making it harder to match.

I was told because these were 2 stage vs three stage paints of today that they mixed mica in with the color that would cause it to shift. Vs spraying a separate mica layer between color and clear. The more the mica the more the color shift. In the 90's these cars were all hand painted with their 26 stage paint process and the end result depended on how much effort and mica was added. For almost all metallic colors very few are identical to another painted with the same color code.

When the 993's came out the paint code remained the same but by then most of the paints had switched to water base and the paint process was changed becoming more automated. This regulated how the paint was mixed and the cobalt of the 993's shifted far less than the 964's. by the time the 996 came out the paint process was completely automated and if you park a 996 in cobalt next to my car they are similar but barely shift in comparison and the 996's are all very similar in color one to the next.

The 997 is a completely different paint code and is not pearlescent like the earlier paints. It is far darker in color and looks more like Iris with some hints of cobalt of the 90's than actual cobalt but still a fantastic color. I find whenever I see a boxster or 997 painted in cobalt I am shocked to see that it is called cobalt because it doesn't look anything like my car.

I added the pictures to try to show the different colors. Although my car changes from dark blue to almost pink depending on where the sun is in the sky the purple and pink in the last 2 pictures is close to how it looks in its lighter phase. (purple door 2nd to last and nearly pink fender last picture) Although these pictures do not show it correctly. the newer cars do not do this at all and my car next to the newer cars looks like a totally different color 97% of the time.
Attached Images     

Last edited by cobalt; 08-10-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
power_up
Racer

Originally Posted by kylejohnston1
They look pretty darn close but I've heard the 964 version of cobalt blue has more of a purple tint/chameleon effect. It could be my imagination, but I think you can see this in the pics.

IMHO, I would stick with the original color to keep the car original...

http://picasaweb.google.com/10014007...eat=directlink
Thanks. I did struggling a while about change of colour matter. I think about if I sell it in future, the new buyer will mind the colour is not original. However, in present situation, I didn't plan to sell it in coming future. So, why not pick a colour that I like and need consider something that may not happen. I think I do this at a good shop in a right way and good documentation support, I feel comfortable. It is too much compromise in our daily life, if making good of our be-love porsche still need compromise, I feel not happy. Just my point of view.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
power_up
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
Totally different color.

The earlier cobalt of the 90's was a very unique and difficult color to replicate. It consists of 10 colors (experts tell me the best colors of the glasurit line mixed together) It is much lighter in color overall with a lot of pink and purple metal flake in it. Color shifting is extreme depending on the car. I have never seen any 2 cobalt blue cars shift the same. Some shift far more than others. I have been told mine shifts more than most they have seen. Of course only making it harder to match.

I was told because these were 2 stage vs three stage paints of today that they mixed mica in with the color that would cause it to shift. Vs spraying a separate mica layer between color and clear. The more the mica the more the color shift. In the 90's these cars were all hand painted with their 26 stage paint process and the end result depended on how much effort and mica was added. For almost all metallic colors very few are identical to another painted with the same color code.

When the 993's came out the paint code remained the same but by then most of the paints had switched to water base and the paint process was changed becoming more automated. This regulated how the paint was mixed and the cobalt of the 993's shifted far less than the 964's. by the time the 996 came out the paint process was completely automated and if you park a 996 in cobalt next to my car they are similar but barely shift in comparison and the 996's are all very similar in color one to the next.

The 997 is a completely different paint code and is not pearlescent like the earlier paints. It is far darker in color and looks more like Iris with some hints of cobalt of the 90's than actual cobalt but still a fantastic color. I find whenever I see a boxster or 997 painted in cobalt I am shocked to see that it is called cobalt because it doesn't look anything like my car.
Very deep explanation of cobalt blue color. Did the color code of cobalt blue had been changed of different model launch?

What is your opinion about cobalt blue and aqua blue on our 964 narrow body?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

964 Cobalt blue is AWESOME! I have a great pic of one I almost purchased . . . will post tonight.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by power_up
Very deep explanation of cobalt blue color. Did the color code of cobalt blue had been changed of different model launch?

What is your opinion about cobalt blue and aqua blue on our 964 narrow body?
Honestly almost all of the blues are nice colors. Cobalt is my favorite and midnight is a close second. Aqua is also very nice along with iris, ocean and so many others. Wimbledon green is another nice color although turquoise is a little nicer. I also enjoy my amazon green which is more blue than green.

IMO the cobalt works better on the widebody where the light can play a bit more with the curves. Although it is still a great color on the narrow body. I think your biggest problem is going to be finding someone who can match the color along with getting the phase shifting correct. I have a few names of people in the states that will even attempt to do it. There are many people that will take on the work and botch it up royally but only a handful that will match it correctly.

The color code stayed the same AFAIK up until 2007. The way it was painted changed dramatically. I believe in 1995 cobalt became an added charge special order paint vs a no charge special order paint. By standardizing the method of painting they toned it down a bit. In 2007 the color code changed completely and AFAIK cobalt was dropped from the lineup in 2011.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM
power_up
Racer

Originally Posted by UncleRemus
964 Cobalt blue is AWESOME! I have a great pic of one I almost purchased . . . will post tonight.
Looking forward to reading it.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
power_up
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
Honestly almost all of the blues are nice colors. Cobalt is my favorite and midnight is a close second. Aqua is also very nice along with iris, ocean and so many others. Wimbledon green is another nice color although turquoise is a little nicer. I also enjoy my amazon green which is more blue than green.

IMO the cobalt works better on the widebody where the light can play a bit more with the curves. Although it is still a great color on the narrow body. I think your biggest problem is going to be finding someone who can match the color along with getting the phase shifting correct. I have a few names of people in the states that will even attempt to do it. There are many people that will take on the work and botch it up royally but only a handful that will match it correctly.

The color code stayed the same AFAIK up until 2007. The way it was painted changed dramatically. I believe in 1995 cobalt became an added charge special order paint vs a no charge special order paint. By standardizing the method of painting they toned it down a bit. In 2007 the color code changed completely and AFAIK cobalt was dropped from the lineup in 2011.
The color code is not something like L37U (Cobalt blue)? AFAIK is stand for?

Reading your car photos, is it like peal effect? Different color in different angle of view. I also have same thinking that cobalt seems better look in turbo body. Don't know why, but seems it did from pictures. However, I really like this line of blue tone (cobalt, aqua) which got wet deep blue look. Thanks for your kind input.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I also love the old blues in particular. I had baltic blue on a 930 and horizon blue on 964 turbo.
when i sold the 930 the next owner had it resprayed and the colour match was awful. it lost
a lot of the colour shifting that is so hard to replicate as Cobalt said above.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 PM
ozmatt964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you change the colour, are you planning to respray the engine bay, etc? It costs alot of $$$ for a good and correct bare metal respray and if you do it on the cheap, it will only hurt your resale....just my opinion.

I just had my car done, I kept the same colour for these reasons. I will post pics this weekend.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 192 Posts

I agree with Anthony, 997 Cobalt blue is very different, here are some pics of my Cobalt:
http://picasaweb.google.com/berezin33/964#
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (07-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Did 964 Cobalt Blue is same as nowadays 997 Cobalt Blue?