Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel or Moisture; which is most common engine oil contaminants?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:33 AM
Ryan360
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel or Moisture; which is most common engine oil contaminants?

I read from a reputable oil analysis lab in Indiana that the most common engine oil contaminant is fuel followed by moisture.

Does anyone know how do these contaminants get in our aircooled engine in the first place? How common is this problem?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:15 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Ryan,

Fuel contamination is the byproduct of combustion and it gets by the rings. Naturally, as the pistons and rings wear, this blowby increases over time and this is why we perform leakdown tests. Certain kinds of rings can minimize this.

Moisture comes from condensation as the engine cools off and both phenomenon are totally normal.

These are the main reasons why you should change oil on a regular basis,...
Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Burned fuel is almost all carbon dioxide and water vapor. Ergo the main contaminant in the oil is water, either condensed blow-by gas or condensed from the atmosphere. Contamination by raw fuel would take a major malfunction in the fuel system.

I recall reading a post here from a fellow who cracked open his oil drain plug regularly to discharge water that had collected in the bottom of the oil tank. I have never found liquid water, but I never use the 911 unless I plan to drive it some distance and get the oil hot enough to drive off any condensed liquids.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a cold start up raw gas gets onto the cylinder walls then gets past the rings .
In a hot engine a very small amount of gas will stick to the walls of the cylinder .

Quick Reply: Fuel or Moisture; which is most common engine oil contaminants?