Sponsored by:

Ignition Map Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 PM
92silver964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Map Question

If the DME determines (and executes) timing based on engine speed and engine load, how does it determine engine load? Engine speed measurement is clear to me, but I have searched and not found how the electronics derives "load". Anybody know how it does that? Thanks.

Last edited by 92silver964; 08-01-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-31-2010, 03:15 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Steve,

Throttle position, engine RPM, AFM info, and wheel speed info from the ABS controller, all tell the DME about load.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:49 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 92silver964
If the DME determines (and executes) timing based on engine speed and engine load, hw does it determine engine load? Engine speed measurement is clear to me, but I have searched and not found how the electronics derives "load". Anybody know how it does that? Thanks.
Load (in milliseconds) as an input to the various internal maps is based solely on the output from AFM.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:14 PM
92silver964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Steve,

Throttle position, engine RPM, AFM info, and wheel speed info from the ABS controller, all tell the DME about load.
Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Load (in milliseconds) as an input to the various internal maps is based solely on the output from AFM.
Thanks, Steve and Jason. My question was based on a graph I saw in the Bentley 964 Technical Data book (pg 28-5) where load and engine speed are shown as the inputs for the DME to decide on ignition timing. Steve, what I gather from your response is that "load" is a multi-variable input that is developed from the parameters you list. I guess it is the way that the electronics forms a more complete assessment of load, rather than just measuring torque (which is my interpretation of "load"). Sorry if I'm geeking out. Cheers.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"what I gather from your response is that "load" is a multi-variable input that is developed from the parameters you list."

Not correct, as was mentioned in a previous post, 'load' is determined SOLELY
by the AFM output. And an engine can have a load without the wheels turning,
e.g. as the clutch is initially engaged. Furthermore, torque is an output and load
is an input to a system.

Quick Reply: Ignition Map Question