Sponsored by:

Question for KW V3 owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question for KW V3 owners

Greetings all - I obtained a KW V3 kit sans the main springs and I am a little concerned with the spring rates of 170 and 458 for front and rear respectively. In particular the fronts seem a bit soft especially when compared to the rears.

What are the thoughts from those who've run 'em, (or anyone else for that matter . Also, anybody play with 225 or higher rate springs up front or softer rears to bring the ratio down?

BTW, I spoke to the techs at KW and they say that if I stay within 70-100lbs per inch, the dampers will be ok with different rates.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Shamus,

Spring rates must be considered in context as well as usage. For a car driven primarily for the street, the 170lb-458lb setup assures decent ride quality on Oregon streets and roads.

For track use, expecially on DOT-R spec tires, I'd be using something stiffer. I would also add tenders if you spring it for such usage to maintain a semblance of ride quality. Shoot for a 200lb split between front & rear for good balance.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Shamus,

Spring rates must be considered in context as well as usage. For a car driven primarily for the street, the 170lb-458lb setup assures decent ride quality on Oregon streets and roads.

For track use, expecially on DOT-R spec tires, I'd be using something stiffer. I would also add tenders if you spring it for such usage to maintain a semblance of ride quality. Shoot for a 200lb split between front & rear for good balance.
Ok, dumb question but, 'tenders' are a smaller, softer spring used in conjunction with the main spring to creat a sort of 'progressive' overall spring rate, correct?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Shamus,

Good to hear from you Steve!

My plans for the car are mostly street w/the occasional track day. On the street I'm running uber-sticky RS3's which are a 140 rated tire which is part of the reason for my concern on the front rate in particular.

The V3 kit is a tender/mainspring setup and the tenders are 57 and 114 lbs front and rear respectively which is a 50% ratio in rates.

I think it comes down to whether I should go with the 229 fronts, and if so, should I stick with the 457 rears, or bump them down to 400. I don't want the rear too softly sprung but nor do I want it too stiff. I can't take the fronts any higher without/a revalve.

Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Ok, dumb question but, 'tenders' are a smaller, softer spring used in conjunction with the main spring to creat a sort of 'progressive' overall spring rate, correct?
That's my understanding, however, from what I've read most 'tender' springs are nearly completely compressed when the car's weight is on them, so their impact may be minimal, or pretty focused to certain types of the damping events.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Not progressive: dual rate. These usually rest in coil bind when the car isn't moving, but become an active part of the supension system once the car is in motion.

The crossover between spring rates is a function of the lengths of each spring.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Shamus964
Good to hear from you Steve!

My plans for the car are mostly street w/the occasional track day. On the street I'm running uber-sticky RS3's which are a 140 rated tire which is part of the reason for my concern on the front rate in particular.

The V3 kit is a tender/mainspring setup and the tenders are 57 and 114 lbs front and rear respectively which is a 50% ratio in rates.

I think it comes down to whether I should go with the 229 fronts, and if so, should I stick with the 457 rears, or bump them down to 400. I don't want the rear too softly sprung but nor do I want it too stiff. I can't take the fronts any higher without/a revalve.

Thoughts?
Hey Shamus,

To help maintain neutrality and minimize understeer, I'd leave it as is and try it. Personal preference and driver experience plays a large role in optimal spring selection and with the sticky tires, you really don't want to go softer.

Quick Reply: Question for KW V3 owners