Help - Engine Mounts Shot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - Engine Mounts Shot?

Hi

Can you help me to tell if these are in a bad way?

I do get a harshness from the rear (like my tyres are pumped up too hard at the back) when i ride over cats eyes or bumps. I also have a little rumble from the rear going around corners. I thought it could be wheel bearing but that was changed in the past as indicated in the service history paperwork. Discs are ok after initially thinking they may be corroded on the inside causing some rumble noise. But i mentioned in another thread about "hard braking sway" and someone mentioned engine mounts.

1: So to cut a long story shot what do you think? Can they only be checked when not under load i.e. I need to remove them?

2: Also next the lower part of the mount the bodywork is slightly deformed on the drivers side, is this to compensate for the curve of the mount or is it hitting it and bending the metal.

3: If it is the mounts I understand from a rennlist search that I can get the 993 to save some cash, anyone had any long term trouble with the 993 mounts?

Offside

Nearside

Thanks in advance

And I’m sorry I haven’t fully introduced myself. But will do when I upload some more pics today and share my new 964 ownership
Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM
kenloen
Intermediate

yeah there goosed. I ordered a set from US Ebay and they were delivered to the UK for £149 the pair, took 3 days to arrive.. Porsche wanted £195+ VAT each side.. had them fitted for 2k miles now and no issues. Fitting is easy and takes less than an hour for both sides (the A/C unit is a pain to work around)

here ya go..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 PM
kenloen
Intermediate

Oh yeah, the replacements have a much longer thread than the originals, it doesnt make much difference only further to tighten the nut up. Also you will need a long reach 19mm socket.. I got a 1/2" drive long reach socket from halfords..
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Unkle
1: So to cut a long story shot what do you think? Can they only be checked when not under load i.e. I need to remove them?

2: Also next the lower part of the mount the bodywork is slightly deformed on the drivers side, is this to compensate for the curve of the mount or is it hitting it and bending the metal.

3: If it is the mounts I understand from a rennlist search that I can get the 993 to save some cash, anyone had any long term trouble with the 993 mounts?
1. Yes those are shot. Where you placed your finger, that represents the amount of space that your engine is free to constantly move around. That sag is normal for almost all the 964s that I've seen on the original m.m.

2. I'd have to compare to my car to be sure, but I seriously doubt that shell is damaged (due to worn m.m.). The engine carrier (what the m.m. bolts to at the bottom) is the weak link and would crack first.

3. The 993 m.m. are much cheaper than stock replacement 964 m.m. and a lot people have gone this route. I'm not sure of the long term durability of these "OEM" 993 mounts...are they a cheap knockoff?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Unkle
Pro

thanks I wonder who makes them?

Is that dent in the bodywork normal? Or has the mount done that?

I work in the motor trade and we are a supplier of Febi Bilstein and Bosch, both supply a large range of German parts (so i should save some money) But not sure if there make these. If not they aren't a bad price.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

I bought mine from this company on EBAY , "Deutsche parts" they are relatively cheap, ive had them for 2 years and they work great no sign of sagging yet, also they dont have fluid in them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...item51879be556
Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Unkle
Pro

2 years isn't bad at all.

I will have a look tomorrow at work first and have a further look at these and the exchange rate, now i know mine are shot.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Unkle
Pro

Are these also the correct part?

http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/ar...6aid%3D4703%26

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt856_...Engine-Mounts/

These are genuine for only £30-£50 more than the US ebay including shipping
Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
nidon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know they are genuine parts, I'm looking at fitting these in the near future, think that if they are genuine then I would sooner get them over the unknown ebay ones as there is hardly any difference in price
Old 07-31-2010, 02:40 AM
Unkle
Pro

I investigate the parts from the Ebay seller and due to all sorts of online forum reason i will only suggest that you please do a google search for Deutsche Parts and the make of mounts used, which are Hamburg Technic Germany. Some have had success, but its worth a search anyway,

Regardless of this I wanted to investigate the logo on the original mount and who they are.

I searched on here but couldn't find any info on mount brands, but I stumbled on it while looking for the part on Pelican Parts 993 mounting.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item7

They show it as a Corteco OEM mount, that set me thinking as the company I work for supply filtration in the UK from Corteco. But mounts? Well Corteco are part of a company group and one of them is Freudenburg and it appears that there logo is the one on the original mount. Didn't they make the original DMF clutches?

http://www.corteco.com/en/company/freudenberg-group/

Unfortunately due to something that was explained to me but i must admit i didn't fully understand. Corteco won't/can't supply the mount in the UK. However the US may well, and clearly is different. So if anyone wants to have a look in the USA for a Corteco supplier other than Pelican parts, perhaps you can buy the original mounts from the original manufacturer, without the Porsche price.

And if you do please post back any info.

Thanks

Last edited by Unkle; 07-31-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:55 AM
Unkle
Pro

Sorry to follow on from the above posts, I wonder if someone could answer another related question. I have read all the threads over the weekend before i order the mounts on Monday, but I'm now starting to think it won't cure my symptoms.

I understand that they are shot, but am I experiencing something else? Obviously as this is my 1st 964 I can't yet feel the engine movement much, or the stiff gear change as I don't have a point of reference. But the one thing I can feel hasn't been described by anyone relating to mounts.

Symptom: When I drive at any speed I get a solid clunk or thump over uneven surfaces from the rear only, and also with greater noise from the D/S. If I hit a man hole cover the front rides smoothly and rear crashes like the tyres are at 60psi. The noise doesn't decrease when turning left or right significantly although there might be a slight change in pitch. But because i here a rear D/S noise continuously without engine revs (when i dip the clutch the noise doesn't go) like a bearing, could i have 2 issues?

I thought engine mount because:

1: They are shot
2: I am no longer damping the rear metal structures sufficiently and this is my clunk
3: The continuous noise when driving could be the shot mount as above and the engine is sitting against metal causing the noise all the time.
4: Under hard braking i have a very little swaying at the rear
5: The pitch of the noise changes when loading and unloading when cornering but also when decreasing speed into a left hand turn its greater.
6: The drivers side has a bigger gap in the mount and the sound is more on the drivers side

I thought the continuous noise is a bearing because:

1: It doesn't make a noise at idle and only when driving do i get the continuous noise
2: The pitch of the noise changes when loading and unloading when cornering slightly

It could be none of the above or all of them and more. The reason all my non 964 car knowledge now goes out the window is the clunk could also be some other related suspension issue. As none of the threads have ever commented on a clunk over bumps at the rear with worn out engine mounts. Or have I missed something?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

You most definitely need new engine mounts. As old as the car is, you most likely also need a new transmission mount. In addition, you also most likely need new shock absorbers.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:37 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Like said earlier, your engine mounts are shot, when mine were like yours, I bought 2 new 993 C4 mounts from Pelican and could not be happier; I also installed the Rennline engine carrier support at the same time, no affiliation, just for peace of mind.
As far as your rumble/noise in the rear, try swapping your rear wheels side to side, don't mind if they are directional. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the tires, very noisy, but after the swap everything was quiet.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:00 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar noise on that side (RHD). The rubber bush that supports the thermostat had broken. It's located under the sharks fin sill cover on the right hand side. Might be worth checking?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Unkle
Pro

Got both engine mounts done, which was good but haven't taken it out for a run

Old

New

Last edited by Unkle; 08-04-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Help - Engine Mounts Shot?