Sponsored by:

How to remove exhuast, 90 C2

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove exhuast, 90 C2

I'm in the process of doing valve adjustment on 90 C2 and need step by step on how to remove cat and secondary muffler to get to the valve covers. Also, how may gaskets for the cat and muffler do I need to order. thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The valve adjustment service kit will have the correct number of gaskets bolts and nuts needed.

First the cat: Remove enough heat shields to get to the three bolts that connect the cat to the exhaust header. Disconnect the O2 sensor inside the engine bay, and release the rubber grommet in the engine baffle. Disconnect the cat from the primary muffler at the single-bolt band clamp. This is a sphereical connection that lets you get the exhaust centered in the cut-out in the bumper cover.

On the other side, the secondary muffler has a couple of bolts holding it to the mounting bracket. Those bolts and a second single-bolt band clamp gets the secondary muffler out of the way. This is a second sphereical connection that lets you locate the exhaust tip exactly where you want it. Remove a couple more heat shields, and the valve covers are exposed.

I get nostalgic for the early 911s, where you just walked up and unbolted the valve covers when you wanted to adjust the valves. Would I go back? Not hardly.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Congratulations on taking on the valve adjustment yourself. You will need the gasket between the cat and heat exchanger. There is no gasket between the cat and the secondary muffler. Be prepared to replace some of the 8mm nuts and bolts on the cat gasket flange. They tend to rust.

As to how to remove it? Its pretty easy, you remove the heat shield and then the bolts are readily accessible. The secondary muffler is held on by two large band clamps. You loosen them and slide them sideways and the muffler will drop off.

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 07-13-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Originally Posted by springer3
The valve adjustment service kit will have the correct number of gaskets bolts and nuts needed.

First the cat: Remove enough heat shields to get to the three bolts that connect the cat to the exhaust header. Disconnect the O2 sensor inside the engine bay, and release the rubber grommet in the engine baffle. Disconnect the cat from the primary muffler at the single-bolt band clamp. This is a sphereical connection that lets you get the exhaust centered in the cut-out in the bumper cover.

On the other side, the secondary muffler has a couple of bolts holding it to the mounting bracket. Those bolts and a second single-bolt band clamp gets the secondary muffler out of the way. This is a second sphereical connection that lets you locate the exhaust tip exactly where you want it. Remove a couple more heat shields, and the valve covers are exposed.

I get nostalgic for the early 911s, where you just walked up and unbolted the valve covers when you wanted to adjust the valves. Would I go back? Not hardly.
Thanks fellows, even I don't think I could mess that part up. I'm looking at the kit from pelicanparts and it doesn't include the exhuast gaskets. Where did you get your kit that included the exhuast gaskets?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I bought my kit which includes the cat gasket from EBS Racing but Pelican carries the cat gasket separately. You will need the square one.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...4%29%2C%20Each

No affiliations.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I bought my kit which includes the cat gasket from EBS Racing but Pelican carries the cat gasket separately. You will need the square one.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...4%29%2C%20Each

No affiliations.
thanks man
Old 07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Si. The Four-bolt catalytic flange.

Got that gasket laying in a plastic bag on my counter at home, just waiting for this summer's-end valve adjust.
This is the first year I bought the components separate and not as a kit.
Only really need the cat gasket, intake and outlet valve cover gaskets.
Bought a 100 M6 x 1 lock-thread nuts at mcmaster-carr for <$10. All else is reused.
Didn't see the economics work in my favor in it's kit form's price and my needs.

Quick Reply: How to remove exhuast, 90 C2