Sponsored by:

Rear loudspeakers, factory size

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rear loudspeakers, factory size

I am trying to find a rear loudspeaker that will fit in the factory recesses, it woud be a 6"X4" with 75X125mm drilling spaces.
I had it all nailed down with the JBL GTO6428, until I noticed it is a 2 Ohm speaker, as all JBLs seem to be.
What gives? Can I not use this with my 4 Ohm front speakers?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Jon A.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I went with Infinity Reference 6432cfp and Infinity Reference 6030cs up front. The combo sounds great, although given the factory speaker sizes lacks the punch that a larger woofer would provide. Also, the rears don't quite fit the factory grills and needed some "spacers"...
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy,

I have JBL's and they are fine. Bear in mind you will never get any bass from rears as there is no sound box. ie, very little space under shelf. An option is to fit a 993 parcel shelf which comes with 5 x 7's as standard and will give you nearly double the cone area of a 6 x 4.
Get a nice little amp and some nice 6.5" splits in the door and you will get reasonable sound.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimjacqmx5
Howdy,

I have JBL's and they are fine. Bear in mind you will never get any bass from rears as there is no sound box. ie, very little space under shelf. An option is to fit a 993 parcel shelf which comes with 5 x 7's as standard and will give you nearly double the cone area of a 6 x 4.
Get a nice little amp and some nice 6.5" splits in the door and you will get reasonable sound.
agree speaker upgrade really requires upgrade of the stock amp....amazing how poor the quality of stock audio set up....bit it is seriously old technology as to where audio has gone.
if you upgrade the amp, go to a set up like bostons for the fronts (speakers/tweeters) in stock sizes, replace rears with bostons, alpines, infiniti's....sound quality about 1000x better, and you will likely find subwoofer not needed for bass (well you are at it as its lower cost component) replace the head unit (with alpine, pioneer?) married to an i-pod dock in the glove box (or mp-3 dock) then 800 songs on tap with no need for cd storage.

sound of the exhaust around town is ok....but for a road trip nothing like stones wailing away.........

Quick Reply: Rear loudspeakers, factory size