Sponsored by:

Front Hood release

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Russ359
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Hood release

OK, so I am going to finally get my 1992 C2 back on the road. The movers broke the front hood release. I disassembled the unit and the problem appears to be a plastic retaining bushing/sleeve has broken off so that when I pull the release lever the entire cable moves and not just the metal cable inside the sleeve that attaches to the actual hood release. My question is how to remove the cable from the lever? It appears to be screwed in with a TINY screw. Any know?

I assume then all I need it the new lever, screw the cable back in and reassemble the housing, lever etc and I am good to o

thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I haven't done it but from the PET drawing it appears to be a single assembly for the handle plus the cable.

Edit: Note there are two versions of the handle, one for cabs/targas and another for coupes. The cab/targa version comes with a key lock. The coupe version does not.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Russ359
Intermediate

Great, so I have to replace the pull lever with the cable and snake the cable thru the quarter panel? isn't there an easier way?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:41 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks the same as my 993 and has the same part #'s, the cable has a hook on the end that catches on the release lever. If you take the cable loose at the hood latch (front, you don't feed it all the way out of the outer sleeve) then slack the inner cable back at the handle and hold your toungue just right you can get it unhooked. I fought and fought with mine until I figured out to loosen the cable at the latch and give myself some slack on the inner cable to work with. I disassembled the whole thing (drove out the pin that the handle pivots on) when I didn't need to. Just slack it and unhook it.

Good Luck

EDIT: I added a picture trying to describe what I mean, hope it makes more sense.
Attached Images  

Last edited by rsr91128; 07-09-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Russ359
Intermediate

AH! I see what you mean. Yes that part you marked is what is broken. I will try to unhook tomorrow. If successful I will order a new lever and install
thanks!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ359
AH! I see what you mean. Yes that part you marked is what is broken. I will try to unhook tomorrow. If successful I will order a new lever and install
thanks!!!
Just to make sure, the broken part is on the housing not the lever. You can reuse your lever, just drive the pivot pin out of the old housing, then use a c clamp or pliers to reinstall the pivot pin in the new housing. I am assuming you figured out the hidden allen screws holding the housing to the car body? If not they are 1 size smaller than the allen screws on the cover and you have to put the allen wrench through the screw hole in the housing to get to them, pull up on the lever after removing the cable to access the upper one.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Russ359
Intermediate

yes, meant the housing. Seems that little plastic part is to keep the cable housing from being pulled by the handle/lever so now the handle lever pulls the entire cable rather than the inner portion.

Yes, discovered the concentric allen screws.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Russ359
Intermediate

OK, pulled the housing and knocked the pin out. It appears the cable is permanently mounted to the lever, not simply hooked on. Or secured by really really small screws. Does anyone know how to detach the inner cable from the release lever? or do I have to thread the entire cable out through the housing to replace the housing?

Quick Reply: Front Hood release