Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What service would you give a car with spotty service history?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can wait. Frankly, I'm glad to have some "free" new parts. But then after he's done, I'm going to turn it right over to one of "my" mechanics and have it gone through. At least they won't keep it forever!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:48 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You've got time.

My early April delivery was just on schedule....

...on July 9th.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
My early April delivery was just on schedule....

...on July 9th.

I just want to make sure I can take it to P2O on July 31st. And that's after I've had it in to "my" mechanic. No panic yet.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 PM
ggoodwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar experience when mine was new to me. A string of basic oil changes only in the past/

I drove it for a while, then had a service including all fluids / belts / spark plugs. (48K iirc). I did brakes discs and pad myself.

Unless you can afford it, I too recommend you save your money for stuff that you find is broken or really needed, rather that just dirty.

GarryG
Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default :D

So today I officially bought the car (yay!). Drove it maybe 20 miles to drop it off at Euromotorworks on the north side of Indy. I sat down with one of their techs and went over the very thorough service list you all have helped me put together. He told me most of the items will be covered with the 60k service, and we'll determine some of the other items based on their expert opinion. (i.e. "fix it now" or "it can wait" or even "you can fix that yourself easily".) When all of that comes back, I'll "conclude" this thread with the info. Until then, you just get a cheesy picture. (I'm on the right)
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
So today I officially bought the car (yay!). Drove it maybe 20 miles to drop it off at Euromotorworks on the north side of Indy. I sat down with one of their techs and went over the very thorough service list you all have helped me put together. He told me most of the items will be covered with the 60k service, and we'll determine some of the other items based on their expert opinion. (i.e. "fix it now" or "it can wait" or even "you can fix that yourself easily".) When all of that comes back, I'll "conclude" this thread with the info. Until then, you just get a cheesy picture. (I'm on the right)
Congrats Doug!! Get those guys crackin'!! So you looking to just do the Sat show or do you plan on doing anything else?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't that a conflict of interest? Not that I do anything different but I always wonder that...

I sat down with one of their techs and went over the very thorough service list you all have helped me put together. He told me most of the items will be covered with the 60k service, and we'll determine some of the other items based on their expert opinion. (i.e. "fix it now" or "it can wait" or even "you can fix that yourself easily".)
Old 07-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PNine64
Congrats Doug!! Get those guys crackin'!! So you looking to just do the Sat show or do you plan on doing anything else?
We're sorta "hosting" friends from South Bend for the event (they're coming down here but not actually staying with us) and right now it looks like we're going to do a Taj museum tour on Friday after lunch. (Got any ideas on eating in Dayton?) We're hoping to host a dinner at the house Friday eve. We'll be at the show fairly early (if I have the car) but they're heading back up to The Bend after the show on Saturday, so we'll part ways there. I doubt we'll do anything else. We're in the middle of some very hectic weeks around here so we'll need a day to rest in there somewhere.

FYI Matt (our friend) wants a 964 Targa, so I'm sure he'll have a lot of questions for you!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oracle
Isn't that a conflict of interest? Not that I do anything different but I always wonder that...
How do you mean?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Going through the spotty service records...

...and found this interesting tidbit...it appears that at 99k miles the motor was replaced with a used motor from a '93 (#62P06254)! Is this good news (newer motor) or bad news (unknown mileage / history)?

Here's how the receipt reads:

"Engine knock - wont' run - engine has rod damage and posible piston / cyl head damage. R/R engine and transmission assembly. Transfer any necessary parts needed to other engine assembly (used). Major service on engine."

The engine assembly at the time (2003) was $8500!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:22 AM
PNine64
Pro

We're sorta "hosting" friends from South Bend for the event (they're coming down here but not actually staying with us) and right now it looks like we're going to do a Taj museum tour on Friday after lunch. (Got any ideas on eating in Dayton?) We're hoping to host a dinner at the house Friday eve. We'll be at the show fairly early (if I have the car) but they're heading back up to The Bend after the show on Saturday, so we'll part ways there. I doubt we'll do anything else. We're in the middle of some very hectic weeks around here so we'll need a day to rest in there somewhere.

FYI Matt (our friend) wants a 964 Targa, so I'm sure he'll have a lot of questions for you!
I think I'm going to stop by the Taj at some point so I may see you there. As for food, I'd look at The Greene. It has a good choice of different things and has a nice atmosphere. If you stop back by there on your way back through there is a car show in the Kmart parking lot next door (starts about 5:00 so it may impact your dinner plans).

I always look forward to discussing 964 Targas. There is a black C4 Targa that is (was) for sale recently. It seemed nice. I know it was looked at by my mechanic and he sorted out the only issues they pointed out (tires I think).

As for the replacement motor. Well there goes the collector status. The 93's had all the latest "upgrades" so that's a good thing. As long as the compression checks and it runs well I think it would make a great driver.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I'm going to stop by the Taj at some point so I may see you there. As for food, I'd look at The Greene. It has a good choice of different things and has a nice atmosphere.
Thanks for the suggestion! FYI I'm pretty average looking but Matt is a very tall, lanky guy, so he'd be easy to spot among us all. If we don't catch you Friday, we'll for sure find you Saturday.

As for the replacement motor. Well there goes the collector status.
LOL!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:03 PM
PNine64
Pro

Thanks for the suggestion! FYI I'm pretty average looking but Matt is a very tall, lanky guy, so he'd be easy to spot among us all. If we don't catch you Friday, we'll for sure find you Saturday.
The pic above helps.

Here's one of me:

Name:  rerun.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  27.6 KB

Doh...not that one...

Name:  DoubleFacePalm.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  42.0 KB

Ah here's one...pic of me and the family.

Name:  SS 5 (Medium).JPG
Views: 122
Size:  113.7 KB
Old 07-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

So just to update...just heard from the mechanic. The list of fixes is five pages long. Total to fix everything is over $12k. Total to fix "must have done" items is about $7500. And it won't be ready for P2O.

At this point I'm thinking purchasing this car is right behind my first marriage in the catagory of worst mistake ever.

Quick Reply: What service would you give a car with spotty service history?