Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk About High Mileage C4s (again) - Potential Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Offhand observation: If the front ride height is indication of as-factory-delivered, then the rear springs may be in need of replacing due to settling. (permanently 'squished' rear spring height.)
Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is how the Autotrader.com ad reads:

"Well loved and taken care of C4 964. Velvet red metallic exterior. 5 Speed. In California its first 17 years, garaged all but a dozen nights in last five years. Generally driven in nice weather but no hanger queen, either. Many maintenance records available. Major engine overhaul and new Pirelli tires at 140,000 miles. No accidents but usual road rash for this type of car. Factory aluminum alloy wheels. Sunroof and upgraded sound system. Non-smoker, clean interior. Perfect first Porsche!"
The Craigslist ad also mentions the possibility for a trade for reliable commuter car.

This is my main e-mail and his answers:

I had a few questions about the C4 if it's still for sale?
Yes!

You mentioned service, do you have extensive records?
Records before I bought it (@ 100,000 mi) are spotty. Since then I have all records, but truthfully, it has not needed much maintenance. I have been fortunate to have good mechanics in Stockton and W. Lafayette. Right now I need to replace original starter (and alternator?). Previously biggest repair was to replace original brake master cylinder.

What can you tell me about the "major engine overhaul at 140k"? ..fixing top end leaks? ..more?
Mainly dropped engine, replaced spark plugs, a few other small fixes. See "truthfully, it has not needed much maintenance" comment above.

How is the clutch and drivetrain?
During same overhaul split tranny bell housing from engine to check clutch, etc. All OK.

Can you send me photos of the car? The more the better. (You're just a little too far to drive over for a quick look, but not too far to make a day out of it if we need to.)
Look at autotrader.com. I can email some more in next day or two.

How was the car used?
Seldom driven farther than one hour in any direction. Never driven outside of ca: 100mi. radius of where we lived, i.e., we lived near Sacramento, CA, took a few trips to Bay Area, Reno, Yosemite. Had it trailered to Indianapolis. Longest trip here Lafayette-Chicago one time. Driven mostly in nice weather.

Any accidents / damage history?
No accidents. Only damage is wear and tear plus road rash on nose, rear wheel flares, windshield pitting, etc.

Why are you selling it?
I used to work at Purdue but work in Indy so need commuter car.

I will also add that he seems happy to chat and is responsive to e-mails. He caught that I'm not a first time Pcar owner and mentioned it's nice to talk to a "knowledgeable prospect rather than grind-em-till-you-find-em first timer!". I don't get the impression he's gone cheap on the car, so a plus.

At this point I'm thinking of swinging by on the way back from our 4th o July family weekend in Michigan to have a look at it. It's a little out of the way, but not terribly and for sure this is one I really need to see and drive before making decisions.

The biggest challenge will be the PPI...mostly because I'm guessing there aren't a lot of Pcar quality shops in greater W. Lafayette, IN (I should know, I was born and raised there!) so the only option may be his mechanic. But maybe we can work with that...
Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Run! Major overhaul is not sparkplugs. Guy is saying what people want to hear but not the truth.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Definitely some interpretation of words here....
Old 06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I like the car from what I can see/read. Would make a nice day trip to go and see it.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its worth a look, but based on the answers I have a couple of concerns...

Check what "pitting" means, if its the glass, its one thing ,but if he's talking about the paint below the windshield that indicates a water leak issue. That repair means the windshield needs to come out for the body work to be done right... Also a new Porsche factory windshield is $800+

Also the C4 doesn't really have a "brake master cylinder" per se, but a different system that has a lot of components. They're reliable, but spendy if they break. (the brake pump for example is $2K +

A starter is certainly doable, but not a newbie job. It takes some patience to get at the top bolt. (but you may know this based on the long list in your signature.... ;-)

Finally, sparkplugs don't mean a full engine overhaul... Those are very different things.

I am not saying this car isn't a good way to go, You just need to get some clearer definition on a few items... as they tend to add up... Overall this doesn't sound like a bad car, it just sounds like 140K worth of use.

Good luck... Keep up the pics/questions... :-)
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great help here, thanks!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Just keep digging on teh questions. Sounds like his story is changing or not jiving with the overhaul and seriously if you had the engine out etc why wouldn't you just change the clutch etc. When was it last done?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It seems a little steep!

It is sure still a buyer's market. It seems like only the garage queen 964s are pulling any kind of premium these days. "Ruby" might just have another 100k miles on the motor, but the heads ain't what they used to be. Even if the guides are still okay, the valves are going to have some wear.

There are plenty out there for sale. I bet he has some room to move if he really wants to sell (now).

Alan

Last edited by Alan G.; 06-29-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: (now)
Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

So the car is heading to his mechanics to get the starter replaced. He said it would be there over the weekend and if it's open we can have a thorough look-see. Stay tuned for that.

I followed up with an e-mail with more Qs, basically asking for elaboration on some details.

He also sent a couple more photos...
Attached Images    
Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

And no, I have no plan on paying $15k for a car with such high miles. If I like it, I'll make a fair but definitely "wheeler dealer" offer.

But I'm also looking at two (possibly three) other cars this weekend, so....options.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

His mechanic's shop has The BEST parking - in the world.

On topic: Nothing untoward/unexpected in those photos for the mileage.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
His mechanic's shop has The BEST parking - in the world.
How beautiful would that be to be your front yard!

Some more answers, which breed more questions. I'll share them below but I'll admit I'm seeing too much potential for expense so I'm very much wavering on this car. If my situation were a little different, most of these things wouldn't matter. But I really don't want to...no, I can't have a car that is going to cost a lot of money in the near future.

Still...to keep this thread rolling....his response to more of my Qs:

"I'm aware of the clutch problem you mentioned - that there were problems in earlier models. I do not have an answer for you beyond what I've said abt it being taken apart and "inspected." I do not know if clutch is OE or not.

I'll meet you half way in terminology between "overhaul" and "major service." While engine was out, my mechanic did everything he and I could think of short of rebuild. But, having said that, I doubt engine was taken down to the point where valves were adjusted. Sooo, sorry I don't have definitive answer for you there, either. It does not have the upper engine oil leaks you discussed, although like all Porsches it does leak where the two halves are joined, but not that much.

I dated myself by saying brake master cylinder, you're correct, brake pump was replaced.

I have to plead ignorance re: distributor vent kit.

Yes, that was Yosemite valley, we used to live 60-70 miles away from there - a fantastic "Porsche road" once we got into the foothills!

Obviously I did not do the extensive research that you're doing! I went largely on faith and haven't regretted it. Basically, every time I've asked either of my mechanics abt this or that component they'd always pass up the opportunity to chump me out of a lot of money and simply tell me "Nope, it's good..." "Nope, I'd leave it alone..." etc. Only "brewing" problem I'm aware of is rear wheel bearings will need replacement one of these days, but no urgency in mind of my mechanic."
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

I don;t know how much more signs of RUN do you need.. You say you don;t want costs after you buy but you know you will.. I mean this is a high miles car and really nothing done on it. I mean ok no rebuild but why not do a valve job when you have the motor out etc...?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

All of a sudden, it is worth way under 10K...

Quick Reply: Let's Talk About High Mileage C4s (again) - Potential Purchase