Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slalom - what a great day. How to improve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM
flash_malmö
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slalom - what a great day. How to improve?

Had my C2 out on track for the second time yesterday. And boy was it fun, knocked of a few seconds compared to last - always encouraging with improvements :-)

Anyway, now I have come to a stage where I can start analyzing the cars behavior. And the most pressing issue is the amount of body movement I am experiencing at heavy breaking and cornering (slalom is very aggressive on the turn-in).

The car is equipped with H&R coilovers (install by previous owner). I am not sure what model, however they have green springs if that is of any help.

What is the best rout to archive a more "planted" drive? Change springs?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flash_malmö
What is the best rout to archive a more "planted" drive? Change springs?
Stiffer springs would help get you there. Next level of stiffness would be the H&R red springs.

H&R reds start out at the upper-range rates of the greens. Reds are less progressive than the greens.
Street comfort & softness will suffer a bit with the reds in comparison to the greens, but they will prohibit much of the roll seen in your pictures.
You need to verify your shocks will handle the stiffness of whatever springs you select. Bilstein HDs are often mated with the H&R reds.

Here's a comparison chart I downloaded sometime ago, can't remember the source, maybe here on Rennlist:
Old 06-28-2010, 11:55 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have H + R reds and adjustable Konis and a M 030 RSA sway bar on the front, stock C 2 on the rear.
With the Konis set to firm, and euro RS ride height and alignment the car handles at autocrosses like a slot car. You car looks very much like mine but I dont have as much body movement. It is a very quick car with the above set up and it is still comfortable on the street. Ive thought about stiffer sway bars to reduce body movement more but Im not willing to compromise the ride quality any further.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 AM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some pics of braking and turning with above suspension set up
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
flash_malmö
Advanced

If I have the H&R green, can I then just swap the springs for red, or must I replace the entire damper?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by flash_malmö
If I have the H&R green, can I then just swap the springs for red, or must I replace the entire damper?
What damper do you already have? If you have stock shocks, I would say no. If you have some sort of sport shocks, then yes.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are serious about developing a competitive slalom car and don't mind a stiff ride on the streets, I would suggest that you skip the spring upgrade and install competition coilovers: H&R Supercup, K&W (with stiff springs), CROSS coilovers, Moton, JRZ, etc. Going with adjutable shocks is especially useful in this regard.

Switching to the slightly siffer Reds will not produce much improvement. Stiffly valved shocks, however, will keep your car glued to the tarmac.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by slips2
Stiffer springs would help get you there. Next level of stiffness would be the H&R red springs.

H&R reds start out at the upper-range rates of the greens. Reds are less progressive than the greens.
Street comfort & softness will suffer a bit with the reds in comparison to the greens, but they will prohibit much of the roll seen in your pictures.
You need to verify your shocks will handle the stiffness of whatever springs you select. Bilstein HDs are often mated with the H&R reds.

Here's a comparison chart I downloaded sometime ago, can't remember the source, maybe here on Rennlist:
Dude you should be ashamed.....you need to clean that wheelwell better!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Dude you should be ashamed.....you need to clean that wheelwell better!!!!

Absolutely, the unknown black smear on the back wall at 2 - 3 o'clock in the picture didn't come off with my powerwasher.
Probably needs some solvent and elbow grease. That's round 2 ...
Old 07-16-2010, 07:21 AM
flash_malmö
Advanced

Ok, have now looked at the shocks and the H&R part number is 3708102-L1/1
Question is, can I make these any "stiffer" by changing the springs only or must I change the entire shocks?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Oracle
Pro

Depends, what you have and how recent you changed them.. I think if you have regular Bilstein probably you want to replace them and if you have Bilstein HD (Heavy Duty) you should be Ok in replacing just the springs. You can get a KW coilover set or similar.

If I ever do the suspension again I'll go with something I can stiff at the track, those ones with the dial for firmness.

Quick Reply: Slalom - what a great day. How to improve?