Sponsored by:

fuse voltage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 AM
kdfwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuse voltage

What should the voltage read across the fuse terminals? I am getting around ~11. Shouldn't it be 12.2 or something?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you trying to figure out ?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Dear KDFwagon

It should be whatever your battery voltage is, relative to ground.

Bill
Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM
kdfwagen
Instructor

well my battery reads a strong 12.2 or something while the fuses read around 11.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:05 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like you're leaking volts. Check for signs around the muffler bearings...

Is this a consistent reading across the other fuses? Is there some 'gang'-ground to the fuse box that might be fuzzily contacting?
Frankly, it could be the little volt drop of the inherent resistance of component(s) connected to that line.
(For a car's length of wire, though, there shouldn't be that great a voltage drop. ButwhatdewIknow - I'm a freaking mechanical engineer.)
Old 06-18-2010, 03:26 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are measuring the voltage at the top of the fuse. If you have one lead on ground and the other lead on the top of the fuse, in theory you should read battery voltage. As mentioned, if you check the voltage on all of the fuses within that same panel and they all read 11v, then either the ground has become resistive or their is a significant voltage drop between the battery and the panel bus.
If it is just that fuse reading low, it could be the fuse socket itself. Over time, the contacts weaken and become slightly resistive. This promotes oxidation between the fuse lead and the socket. In this case, cleaning and/or adjusting may solve your problem. I'm no expert but this is how I corrected an odd electrical problem we were having on our car.

Gary
Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Dear KDFwagon

The voltage should be 12.2 on either side of the fuse. If it isn't, something is taking an enormous amout of current to cause that kind of voltage drop and I would think (hope) the fuse would have blown before this occurs. As a first step. Measure the voltage from the battery's ground post (i.e. -ve usually labelled with a "-" sign) to a good clean chassis ground and then measure the voltage from the ground connector on the battery post (i.e. -ve) to a good clean chassis ground. If you measure any significant voltage at either, clean up the connection at the battery post and where the ground cable connects to the chassis, then repeat the above measurements. If you still measure voltage clean up the connection to at the positive (i.e. +ve labelled with a "+" sign), rinse and repeat.

Bill

Quick Reply: fuse voltage