Sponsored by:

Help with Sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Craig Lutz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Sale

I am going to list my car for sale in the next day and wanted to see if anybody could give me an idea on what to ask for a fairly quick sale. Car has 99k miles with a top end rebuild, upgrade to 3.8l, short shift, medium weight flyweel, and recaro seats. As many have I have spent large sums for maintenance and for driving pleasure. Appearance wise car is in good shape but not perfect cosmetically. Mechanically, I have spent over 20k for various items and it needs nothing to my knowledge. I have had the car for five years and have autocrossed the car several times. Otherwise, it sits in the garage except for the occasional weekly drive which is why I am selling. I was thinking around $19K or so. I would like to sell it in a couple of weeks so want to price it somewhat aggressively. Hoping to sell it to a rennlister or pelican follower. It's a very fun car so hoping someone will buy it and use it. Thanks for your help now and in the past.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:30 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Little more info

Craig,
I follow sales reasonably closely and can tell you some items that may affect pricing;
Photos are a huge bonus as they so much about the car, extras, wheels, stance etc.
Geography; a West Coast car seems to attract a slight premium especially if the car has no major accidents.
Ownership: full records from a PCA/POC member and steady ownership and wrenched on by a reputable 964 shop.
Condition; You mention cosmetics not being perfect, that is pretty vague, unless someone is looking for a garage queen we would all of us like to know can it be enjoyed now or does it really "need paint". Interior too?

If the car needs paint and attention to interior, has close to 100k miles then unless you are in AZ or CA I think $19,000 may be optimistic especially as you mention you want a fairly quick sale.

The good news is that these cars have enjoyed a real surge in interest the last 12 months making good ones hard to find. If the car is the one in your avatar then it is an interesting color and with your meticulous attention to mechanical detail you will find willing buyers I am sure. If the paint and interior is better than average you may get offers between $14,000-$17,000,again depending on your location 14k in the middle of nowhere and 17k on a coast.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$19k is low for a car with top end rebuild/3.8L upgrade. Plus that blue is very rare on a 964. Unless it is really rough cosmetically I would price it at $23k. Post it on Pelican, ebay, pca.org and here on Rennlist. Of course if it needs to be gone in 2 weeks you will have to take the best offer.

Post some interior pics and more details.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Craig Lutz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments. The car is a 1990 and is the one in the avatar. The color is baltic blue. The paint is original with a little bubbling on the passenger side at the bottom of the windshield. I guess I would give it a 6 out of 10. I will post some pictures tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neat color. Bubbles in the spot you describe indicate a windshield seal issue... likely rust. I just did that repair, and with a new windshield it was worth about $2800, fwiw.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Craig, sent you a PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 PM
kopo
Instructor

Just picked up a real nice 1992 with 66k on Saturday and spent $19,000. Good Lucky with your sale. And I agree, post it on C-List, Ebay, Pelican Parts and here.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Craig Lutz
Rennlist Member

If this works here are some pics. I am not very good with uploading photos. Thanks. Craig
Attached Images      
Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Greg964
Pro

The interior looks great, exactly what I want to do with mine. What type of carpet did you use?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Craig Lutz
Rennlist Member

Thanks Greg. I used the RS carpet in black plush from Applied Business Concepts. (310) 326-3913.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Where are you located and poosible to have shots of the seats? What are the full specs??
Old 06-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Craig Lutz
Rennlist Member

I am located in Topeka, Ks. I bought the car in Aug/05 with 77k miles. The car now has 99k miles. Here are the items I had done to the car: Install Recaro Sport Topline leather seats, RS door panels and RS carpet and removed much of the sound proofing and rear seats, 930S steering wheel, new battery this year, have a fiberglass duck tail, H&R lowering springs and bilstein shocks, 993 Carrera RS short shifter, strut brace, ECU chip, K&N Air filter, B&B headers/muffler (gets many compliments on the sound), Nakamichi indash stereo, focal polykevlar front speakers, (2) arch audio 8" subs, audison amp (all from Car Audio Innovations), and drilled sport discs. The engine had a top end rebuild in Aug/06. I had much of the above work done by Imagine Auto and BHR in KC. Tim Owen from Topeka rebuilt the engine and did the following work. He does this work on the side and is very detailed and careful. The items he completed with the top end rebuild include: conversion to 3.8l, valve job, new valve guides, bore heads for 102mm cylinder w/ updated head gasket, replace p&c w/ mahle 102mm sport slip-in units, replace connecting rod bearings, replace case through bolt o-rings and all seals, replace cams w/ 993 super sport cams, install medium weight andial carrera cup flyweel, replace clutch disc, replace timing chains, and replace spark plug wires. I am not a mech by any means but I tried to have the best people I could work on the car. Tim knows the car inside and out if anyone has tech. questions. It's a very fun car to drive and look at. I have the new Jeff Alton Fuch's with new dunlop tires, fikse fm5 wheels with new dunlop tires, and powdercoated design 90 wheels with new Toyo RA-1 tires. I removed the a/c but still have the parts. I would think this would be a good fit for someone who wants a fun car for spirited drives, autocross, or road courses. My wife and I took it to the pca convention in Colorado last summer and it was great. I think it is a good balance between a daily driver and a fun little race car. The rust issue on the bottom of the windshield is the only rust I know of. The paint is good, not great. I will probably be around $19K. with either leaving the fuch's or fm5's out or $21K with both included. Thanks again for looking and the advice. Craig
Old 06-16-2010, 12:50 AM
kopo
Instructor

Craig, Great looking car. And I bet it sounds great too. You shouldnt have a problem getting what you want for it. I would make a short video 2 or 3 min long and post it on U-Tube. Then link it to your For Sale ad. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 AM
nekbet
Instructor

One question I would ask is, why is there no drivers air bag? Applicable concern is if it had a wreck? and if so, was fixed on the cheap (airbags are pricey!)?
And a side question - anyone ever have an accident with a car that you removed the airbag steering wheel, and the insurance company raised a stink?

Regards,

Mike
90 C4 Targa (for sale, too!)
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
nekbet
Instructor

Oh - and for pricing reply...

I found it crazy that this 1990 Targa didnt hit the reserve at over $18k....its a TIP!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130397705438

I had my targa on ebay a few weeks ago, got to $13k-something... I have it on PCA for $17k. The general feedback was that the PDAS light and front tires being shot were big negatives - so its in the shop now getting those resolved and will go back on ebay and local places for $17k.

I've seen them at $20k and even $22k for 75k mile 964s... I think that is a bit optimistic unless you really have a cherry car.

regards,

Mike
90 C4 Targa (for sale, too!)

Quick Reply: Help with Sale