Crooked Smile up front:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 PM
OttoB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crooked Smile up front:(

Hey guys...

I'm happy a can be after getting my 965 a couple of months ago, and I have been tweaking it with a few things here and there... The 2 first pics shows the car when I got it, and the remaining ones are recent from a "repair" by a local shop who told me that the front spoiler has no way of being repaired any better?!?! This repair consisted of replacing the plastic mesh behind the spoiler, since the original one had plastic hooks that had sheared off (from PO's impact with something?). Anyhow, the new mesh didn't really change the symmetry of the spoiler and was hoping to see if there's a cure out there from one of you guys, or am I stuck with this until the entire front spoiler is replaced (not an option at this point!). I mean, even if it cannot be noticed, can't a metal plate or ? be installed around the spoiler beam to make it seem more straight? Thanks for the help - I know the pic's aren't that good and that the euro license plate is in the way.

Otto

Last edited by OttoB; 03-09-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technical/smily_grin.htm
Old 06-09-2010, 03:50 PM
frankvan
Pro

and also this may help afterwards
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...d-all-day.html
Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM
OttoB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The later pic's I enclosed are AFTER the lower plastic spoiler guard was taken out, in order to let the spoiler beam be "freed up", as per the first article you enclosed which was already read and followed. The problem is that after this initial repair, the smile was still crooked, and was then told that the only repair left was to replace the plastic mesh since the one in the car was missing its clips. After the mesh was replaced, the car still looked the same, even with the new part. Allegedly, the unevenness is due to the spoiler having been in the smashed up position for a long time, which then caused the permanent bend towards the passenger side. If you look at before/after pics, it almost seems the bend on the spoiler beam worsened than how it was before the actual repair attempt!

I have doubts that this is the best it could be, since the rest of the car is in very good shape. Any suggestions?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:34 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Otto, If you haven't alreay done so, I'd highly recommend that you inspect the piece, yourself. The explanations you've received strike me as speculative at best. The fix is VERY straightforward and easily accomplished by someone with just a slight bit of mechanical ability.

If you don't feel comfortable tacking this yourself, I'd recommend that you find a different shop. Here's a pic of my 130K-mile C2 which has seen more than its fair share of bumps, scrapes and knocks. An hour, or so, with jackstands, screwdriver and pliers had her looking good as new.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 PM
frankvan
Pro

btw, nice chin spoilers on both cars.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

the lower black plastic spoiler comes off with about 12 screws. Once off, take a pair of pliers and straighten out the metal lip the spoiler attaches to. 30 minute job and very easy.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:17 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1, and you don't need to jack the car up. Only other thing to note is that the driver side (left hand drive) of the black plastic goes on last. It fits over the passenger side.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:54 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did these repairs, and I also fit a small block of hardwood into the lowest front gap, just to push the plastic down to the right level. I painted the block black so it is invisible, and now I have a straight smile.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:52 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

You can fix this. Look how mine looked at one time

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ighlight=frown

Quick Reply: Crooked Smile up front:(