Sponsored by:

Engine Compartment Insulation/Firewall

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:44 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Compartment Insulation/Firewall

Has anyone who has noticed that the cabin is pretty hot after a run changed their engine firewall, whether with an OEM part or replacement? Any difference?

Came across this, but doesn't seem to have any 911 application:
http://www.koolmat.com/what.shtml

I've read a suggestion that improving the insulation of the cabin means that more heat is trapped withiin the engine compartment. Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ACSGP
......I've read a suggestion that improving the insulation of the cabin means that more heat is trapped withiin the engine compartment. Thoughts?
Heat does not get trapped in the engine compartment. An air-cooled engine has lots of air flow, and the vents remain open even after the fan stops. The heat escapes, and I doubt the heat transfer into the cabin is going to change the cooling rate by any significant amount.

Peak engine temperatures result from high power settings during hard or uphill runs. Then it is important to run and low load for a couple of minutes to cool down before shutting off the engine.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I've removed my engine sound pad years ago...

Last week I came back from a road trip where I had the backseats stuffed with duffel bags. After driving for hours I emptied the bags from the car. The duffel bags that were firmly pressed against the firewall were definitely warn to the touch, but not hot. Of course some heat transfers into the cabin without the engine pad, but not an extreme amount.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 06-08-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I was looking at a Boxter last night. The liquid-cooled engine is almost completely encapsulated. Perhaps insulation on the cover panels is where the concerned about "trapped heat" is real.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 PM
roadsleeper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... It gets kind of warm in my cabin...

Seriously though, if you have gone through ripping out chunks of the OEM insulation material like I have, you'll find that what Porsche put in your car 20+ years ago is as good at keeping engine bay heat out of the cabin as this KoolMat stuff (and probably lighter...).

You are probably getting more heat transfer from outside the car, the forward dash area and / or the oil lines. My guess is that you are probably feeling the effects of the latter as you are pretty much sitting on top of the lines in your RHD drive car...
Old 06-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I removed the heat pad and noticed no change in either the cabin or engine temps.

Now, it has increased the engine noise in the cabin a bit though....

Marc
Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the responses guys. My rear seats get pretty hot when I leave my car parked, and come back after abt 2 hrs. Same for the seat belt for the driver (RHD) as I believe that the oil tanks is there.

So not sure if the insulating material is not doing its job on the engine heat issue.

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Insulation/Firewall