Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting intake manifold - question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Painting intake manifold - question?

Hi guys.

My car is under the knife as we speak. I have the stage 1 protomotive turbo being installed along with a ton of other items being addressed to freshen the car up.

I will post pics once all the work is done.

Question, I was thinking of painting my intake manifold Porsche red. Will the paint handle the heat? Has anyone done this?

or should i get it powder coated?

I rather have it painted to match the turbo intake and fan. Kind of worried about exact colour match from paint to powder coat.

Thanks Jeff
Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Dave White
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming you have the early aluminum one, like I do. I would go with at least a high temp paint, or powder coat. Personally, I went with the powder coat, will probably be more durable.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:36 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Dave, yes i do have the aluminum intakes. I agree with the more durable using the powder coat.

I wanted someone who had personal experience or new someone who actually painted them in terms of durability.

The only concern would be it matching the fan. I am painting the fan and housing, not powder coating.

Ty for your input.

Jeff
Old 06-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Dave White
Racer

Why not powder coat all of it? I did. I did have the engine sheet metal sprayed with high temp paint, as well as the pulleys, and a few other items, but they were just basic black.

By the way, keep us updated after you get your car back. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the stage 1 protomotive, but couldn't find enough people that had it for any type of reliability, so I decided to go displacement, and keep the car local to me for the work.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:44 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

That looks hot...... If i was to go powdercoat on the fan, they will have to shave the blades to make it work. I am really not wanting anyone trimming down the blades and taking the fan out of whack.

I am so stoked about the stage 1 turbo. A couple of my buddies have been running for 3 years, not a single problem at all. His car had 200k miles on it when it was installed. He will be pulling it off once his mega widebody is completed and installed on his other car.

He is having fun tracking his current car with this setup.

The only issue were the intake boots popping. He suggests to install all new boots and now protomotive has an intake tie down strap so they do not blow off. That was included in the current kits.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Dave White
Racer

My blades aren't shaved, both pieces are coated, I don't think the clearance is that tight. From what I have read, some people have problems with paint on the blades sticking(magnesium?). The intake(aluminum) would probably be okay, but it's not something that comes out easily to be redone, so I chose the hopefully more durable route.

Quick Reply: Painting intake manifold - question?