Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake caliper upgrade for 1990 C2 - 993 C2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by airfan
slips2, I am also considering the 993 C2 rear caliper upgrade. What's your impression so far, an did you decide to keep the stock p/v?
Yes, I've kept the stock P/V.
The new suspension, wheels & tires, and rear brake upgrade have combined to produce significant handling improvement - very pleased.
First roadtrip since the upgrades was to the local mountains this past weekend:

Climbed from sea level (home) to over 7,000 feet via winding mountain road switchbacks. Woo-hoo, what a ride!
My wife and I are the original owners, and now our 964 is "new & improved" with 77K miles on the odometer.
We think it's more engaging and fun to drive than a recently owned 997.

As regards braking, my impression is as follows ... prior to the upgrades, under hard braking the stock 964 felt somewhat like it was "standing on its nose" and there was the very near potential for push/understeer if simultaneously in a turn. Now, after the upgrades, under hard braking the feel is more like the car "squats down" at all four corners, as if it's being pulled into the pavement. In addition, the Michelin 225 PS2s up front delay the onset of understeer. YMMV.

Originally Posted by christallon
I am having late model 964 4-pots installed at the shop right now. I am assuming I don't have to mess with the proportioning valve. Am I right? Thanks
The late 964 4-piston (30/28mm) calipers have less piston hydraulic x-sectional area than the '90-91 2-piston (40mm) calipers, if that's what you're replacing. Without other brake system mods, the result is less rear brake torque (thereby work) at any given braking level. For more rear brake torque, to levels as intended by the factory during harder braking (higher brake system fluid pressures), you may want to replace the '90-91 stock 45-bar P/V with a 55-bar unit as came on late 964s.

Last edited by slips2; 06-09-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks Slips,

Yes, I'm replacing the 90-91 2 pot with the 92/93 4 pot calipers. I understood from your post that I will not be able to utilize the greater braking aspect of the larger calipers due to smaller P/V allowable pressures.

Has anyone simply bolted in a later set of calipers, as described above, without changing the P/V valve and experienced better overall braking? I made the change assuming it was an upgrade.

Cheers...
Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Thanks Slips,
Yes, I'm replacing the 90-91 2 pot with the 92/93 4 pot calipers. I understood from your post that I will not be able to utilize the greater braking aspect of the larger calipers due to smaller P/V allowable pressures.
Cheers...
By my calcs your brake hydraulic bias ratio is 1.72, which relative to what you had (1.50), indicates the fronts will carry more of the braking, especially during hard braking without an upgrade to the 55-bar P/V. Should be stable with less chance the rears would lock-up first, that's with no regard to ABS intervention or other changes. I'd be interested to know how it feels during threshold braking, once the pads/rotors have been bedded-in.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
you want an effective lsd, a GT or motorsports 40/65 is very desireable
Last item, will need to save-up.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill is the guru on this (and many other) subjects. I will add that some years ago a rennlister (or maybe p-fans) measured his before and after pad wear with his STOCK 964 brake set-up after a day at the track. As I recall, his rear pads had very minimal wear especially compared to the fronts.

As result of this he installed a different proportioning valve (turbo 964?) that provided greater rear bias and he had no detrimental effects from this

Just an FYI

'93rsa 3.8

Quick Reply: Rear brake caliper upgrade for 1990 C2 - 993 C2?