Sponsored by:

Vague question re 964 Handling

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

You may want to check that your wheel bearings are good. If one or more is worn, this will affect the car's alignment.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:24 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In your first post you specifically floating at the rear. Might be worth checking if you have sloppy engine mounts. And check for any cracks in your engine carrier while you're looking.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Also, if the car is lowered too much it will affect the handling. Ask me how I know... in the process of raising the car a little and getting it re-aligned and corner balanced.

I had one of those "oh ****!" moments a few months back during a spirited drive...
Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 PM
mrjonanni
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, well I'll up my tyre pressure for a bit and see what happens but I'm not sure thats the cause. I'm liking the sound of checking wheel bearings and engine mounts. Its somewhere new to look that I hadn't considered.

I found out the car was corner balanced but I'll also maybe get a second opinion on my alignment and make sure both mechanics are saying the same things.

Ideally I wanted someone to come along and say " I had exactly the same issue and x fixed it but no such luck"
Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonanni
Something else which may be related is that normally when driving through roundabouts and bends the car feels extremely planted and solid on the road, but every now and then the car feels like halfway through a bend it sort of falls (not the best description). Again sort of floaty feeling. I dont slide or anything but again its very disconcerting and doesn't instill confidence.

Anybody got any ideas or is that just the way it is?

Thanks a lot
Exactly what I experienced in high speed corners....please check the rear trailing arm bushing thread for a possible solution. Of course also follow up on other suggestions mentioned such as engine mounts/carrier.

Rgds,

Harald
Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 964 I changed first the rear tires and a few months later the fronts, when I had new tires in the rear and old tires in the front (different brands also) the handling was poor and I had a floating sensation at high speed
After changing front tires (and doing a good wheel alignment) the sensation was gone and now it handles perfectly

Quick Reply: Vague question re 964 Handling