Need a mechanic recommendation - near Baltimore, MD

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
DStauffer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need a mechanic recommendation - near Baltimore, MD

I accidentally posted this in the 911 forum yesterday and was redirected here:

Hello all! I'm new to Rennlist and also a new Porsche owner. I recently purchased a very well documented 1993 911/964 from a good friend in Pittsburgh, PA.

I took the car to the Porsche dealer in Silver Spring for inspection. The car failed inspection because of the passenger side window was inoperable (it does work intermittently, but at the time of the inspection, it wasn't working). I consulted the forums for the correct way to wire the switches and after trying several different wiring sequences over the course of a Saturday afternoon came up with the following set-up:

Driver's side driver's side window switch - works fine up and down
Driver's side passenger's window switch - inoperable
Passenger's side window switch - puts window up, but not down

To compound issues, during every different wiring sequence and test, the fuse blew (I went through at least 10 fuses), so it seems that there is a issue in the wiring. I am at my wit's end.

So, I am looking for recommendations for a good Porsche mechanic that is somewhat local to Baltimore, MD, and specialized in wiring. I don't really want to go to the dealer as it will be exponentially more expensive.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have a second car, so dropping it off for a few days is not an issue.

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 125 Posts

Congrats on the 964 purchase. You are going to love it.

Sounds like a bad window switch. There are several good shops around Baltimore. If you are on the northside of town, there is SSI Performance near Towson. If you are around the south end, At Speed Motorsports is off I-95 between Baltimore and D.C. Both are active in the local PCA regions and operated by Porsche people. Links below.

http://www.ssiauto.com/

http://www.atspeedmotorsports.com/

Quick Reply: Need a mechanic recommendation - near Baltimore, MD