Sponsored by:

Brake light insensity

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 AM
flash_malmö
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light insensity

One thing with my 964 I find to be a risk for my health is the poor intensity of th brake lights. I have two questions I would appreciate answers for;

1) I have ordered a OEM third brake light I will be installing, where is the best place to run the cable in to the engine compartment? Are there any holes I could use?

2) Can I upgrade the factory bulbs in the regular brake lights to something with higher intensity? Of so, where could I get them?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Sorry can't help on question #1. But Daniel Stern can supply higher intensity bulbs for the brake lights. They aren't on his website but he does carry them. I purchased some as part of a kit I purchased to convert my car to H4's. I haven't had time yet to install them.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

No affiliations.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:23 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No idea on question one, but instead of higher intensity lights, do a search for "The 5 light brake mod" as compiled by ilko. I did it last summer and it makes a huge difference in brake lighting.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's the roof spoiler version, Warmfuzzies (Kevin) has a nice write up on his website:

http://www.964kevin.homecall.co.uk/3...brakelight.htm
Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I think he means this one: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...light-mod.html
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, that's the one. Awesome mod. Great results. Thanks for finding the linky.

Cliff
Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 PM
flash_malmö
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a great write up, however does not show how the light in the rear windows is connected or routed down to one of the rear lights.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flash_malmö
It is a great write up, however does not show how the light in the rear windows is connected or routed down to one of the rear lights.
I think you'll find that US 964s have the 3rd brake light in the rear window fitted as standard. Hence, Ilko's light was already there and he was just describing how to modify the rear fogs as 4th and 5th brake lights (so didn't need to show the routing of the wires from inside the window to the rear light).

Most European cars didn't have the 3rd brake light option. I'm guessing you're in Sweden and therefore want to retrofit one? If you follow the link I gave above about how to fit the spoiler version you'll see how the wires were routed to the rear light cluster. Once you get onto the first web page, click on the small photos at the top to take you to subsequent pages. The second page shows how the wires are routed through the engine bay to the rear light. Even though you've bought an OEM 3rd brake light, the principle of routing the wires should be much the same.

For ease, here are the links again:

3rd brake light - inside window wiring

3rd brake light - wiring to light cluster (page 2)

Quick Reply: Brake light insensity