Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question Steering rack leak...

Steering rack leak...

sorry guys... just venting... took the car out today to drive to work and noticed a broken boot on the steering rack and oil on the floor... I figured I just needed to change the boot but looks like the seals on the steering rack are toast.

Easy/inexpensive to rebuild as a diy or will I need to swap it for a rebuilt unit ?

This will come handy... good thing I got it for when I was working the Fiat. Best 19.00 I have spent...

Searching the forum for some information.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Perfect time to dig out those A arms bushings I bought a few months ago and replace them as well... and sort the break locking issue, and order the 993 brake pads sensors, and clean some more...

I hope I don't damage the steering pump on the way back...
Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Reference threads:

Steering rack replacement, any tips?

Steering rack boots
Old 05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I don't have any Pentosin CHF 202 in the car... it will have to stay like that until I get home then... 24 miles... oooohhh I hope I don't damage that steering pump.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Frigging copper seal rings are more expensive than the boots!!!

Boot (2) (964-347-191-03) - 14.25
Copper Seal Rings (4) (900-123-026-20) - 17.00

Yes, before you ask... I am going to replace the boots and use it like this for a little longer
Old 05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I put stop leak in mine over a year ago and it went from a gusher to a very slow leak and no difference in steering effort. I replaced my boot because the fluid eats thru the rubber. You will need a alignment after the boot swap.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thank you Jim. Only remove the tie rods to replace boot, correct? No need to take the rack down? (trying to determine if I can get away without touching those copper washers...)
Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Jamie - Sorry to hear you have a leaky steering rack. I replaced mine last year. It was leaking enough to make a mess but still drivable. I ended up selecting a rebuilt unit from Vertex. Their price was half the price of ones rebuilt by ZF. I asked how they could do it so cheaply? They said that they rebuild them in-house. While I had the rack out, I replaced the tie-rod ends and sway bar drop links. What did I forget? The boots. Doh! I had the car up recently and the boots are torn. I have to new boots on the bench, waiting for free time to replace them. I replaced the bolts that hold the rack to the car and also the rubber isolation mounts. In hindsight, they weren't very expensive but could have been reused.

No affiliations to Vertex.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Jamie - Sorry to hear you have a leaky steering rack. I replaced mine last year. It was leaking enough to make a mess but still drivable. I ended up selecting a rebuilt unit from Vertex. Their price was half the price of ones rebuilt by ZF. I asked how they could do it so cheaply? They said that they rebuild them in-house. While I had the rack out, I replaced the tie-rod ends and sway bar drop links. What did I forget? The boots. Doh! I had the car up recently and the boots are torn. I have to new boots on the bench, waiting for free time to replace them. I replaced the bolts that hold the rack to the car and also the rubber isolation mounts. In hindsight, they weren't very expensive but could have been reused.

No affiliations to Vertex.
tie-rod ends and sway bar drop links are new, replaced them a few years back but not so many miles ago...

Humm... 499.00 plus the core... I have a meeting in Miami the week before the 4th of July... might just drive there with the rack in the trunk and get myself a rebuilt unit...

Thank you Rob!!

Last edited by Wachuko; 05-04-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I ordered the boots and Pentosin fluid from Pelican (and the brake sensors...). Will install that until I get a chance to replace the steering rack with a rebuilt unit.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Just take the tie rod connector off. If you mark it you can get the alignment back fairly close. It is a real bitch slipping the boot on the rack so it isnt turned under or pinched. Defiantly a job using your lift.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Just take the tie rod connector off. If you mark it you can get the alignment back fairly close. It is a real bitch slipping the boot on the rack so it isn't turned under or pinched. Defiantly a job using your lift.
Cool, thank you!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Cool, thank you!
I have some pictures some where on a CD. I will look for them.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Three years ago, I had a leak 2 weeks before a DE at Watkins Glen. Ordered 2 boots, and disassembled the tie-rods to get at the boots. slipped on the new ones (easy!), then filled the resevoir with "Lucas" Power Steering stop leak, and got an alignment (as a temporary fix till I got back from the Glen). Oh, by the way, did it all with jackstands, as it was before my Scissors Lift!

Three years later..........................It's STILL temporary!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed my leaking rack and sent it off to the guy at www.rackdoctor.net. He rebuilt it and shipped it back in 3 business days. Price was around $300 IIRC.

Quick Reply: Steering rack leak...