Suspension 1989 C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 PM
jherzler
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension 1989 C4

Hi Folks,

I'm the proud new owner of a 1989 C4 with 109,000. It is number 920 for the build year. I'm in the process of making this a daily driver/ DE car. I've been through a bunch of the threads and understand that 1989 was a unique year when you start looking at options for lowering/stiffening. One of the few options available appears to be the H&R coil over street kit. Just wondering if anyone out there has used this along with the H&R sway bars?

Does this rattle your teeth out or is it tolerable on the street?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the H&R street kit with an "RS" alignment and I find it totally streetable. But as I've said a thousand times before - "streetable" to me might be too firm for the track for you.

It's so much a matter of taste AND the "streets" you drive on. Here in Toronto, the condition of the roads has deteriorated dramatically to the point where a gravel spec set up ala Group N rally car would be the quickest, most satisfying set up!

I think the best bet is to get to drive a few. Where are you? Maybe some folks here can let you sample thier set ups?

RK

PS - New members are obliged to post pics of thier new rides, eh? ; )
Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
jherzler
8th Gear

Default 89 C4 Suspension

Thanks for the response RK. I agree completely that feel is very subjective. The 996 in my avatar has the complete coil-over set-up for the track and is way too stiff for the street. That's why I'm looking for a happy medium.

I'm having some work done on the body and will post pics once its complete.

Regards,
Old 04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome to the club Jherzler and congrats on getting the fastest year !!
I have H & R coilovers with red (turbo) springs at RS + 7 mm and they are firm.
The only way to soften them a bit is to increase the ride hight and then i think they would be tolerable(remember that 996 factory set up is very luxury in feel while 964 tends to feel pretty firm and spartan in comparising, so the feel i described is between factory vs. H & R of a 964)
I am also running 21 mm rear sway bar to correct handling charactristics and that is plenty in my opinion (stock was 18 mm).
It's a personal preference, but i would do it again
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
jherzler
8th Gear

Thanks Rob,

In addition to the H&K street coil-overs, I'm also looking at the H&K Sway bars which are 24MM front and 26MM. Based on your comments, they sound like over-kill if I want a compromise for the track and street. Think I'll try the coil-overs first and hold back on the sway bars.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jherzler
Thanks Rob,

In addition to the H&K street coil-overs, I'm also looking at the H&K Sway bars which are 24MM front and 26MM. Based on your comments, they sound like over-kill if I want a compromise for the track and street. Think I'll try the coil-overs first and hold back on the sway bars.
I would hold back.
If anything find someone who has a C-2 and wants to upgrade to 18 mm rear sway bar and swap with you for 21 mm, or just try a wrecker like http://dcauto.com/ (no affiliation) for about $75.00 - 85.00 like I did...

Let us know once you try your new set up and give us your opinion...

PS Looking above (your quote) I need to add that I also have H&K P30L and like it very much, but that is a completely different tread...
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jherzler
Thanks Rob,

John,

JMHO, but I'd be using factory Euro RS adjustable bars. They will not negatively impact the ride quality like the big ones do, and they help dial out the terminal understeer. Not cheap, but worth every penny.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bear in mind that the OP has an '89 c4 - and the RS sway bars and drop links won't fit on a C4 as they foul the front drive shafts.

Regards

Dave
Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Computamedic
Bear in mind that the OP has an '89 c4 - and the RS sway bars and drop links won't fit on a C4 as they foul the front drive shafts.

Regards

Dave
Hi Dave,

The RS front bar will fit; one simply retains the OEM curved droplinks for driveshaft clearance.

You will not be able to reach the front (softest) hole on the bar but thats something we never use anyway,......
Old 05-01-2010, 05:16 PM
jherzler
8th Gear

Default 89 C4 Suspension

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I'll spend some more quality time with my Bentley Enthusiast's Companion this weekend and some adult beverage before pulling the trigger next week. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Old 05-01-2010, 05:31 PM
jherzler
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Dave,

The RS front bar will fit; one simply retains the OEM curved droplinks for driveshaft clearance.

You will not be able to reach the front (softest) hole on the bar but thats something we never use anyway,......
Steve,

I assume you are refering to 964-343-707-70 (24 mm front stabilizer) and 964-333-701-70 (18 mm rear stabilizer )? I would need to use RS America bar links
(964-343-071-80 / 964-343-072-80) for proper clearance in front? Thanks again.

Regards,
Old 05-01-2010, 07:30 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe he meant you should use the stock C4 drop links with the front RS bar to avoid any clearance issues.

Sway bars can be easily added, afterwards, so there's no problem with taking it in steps, seeing how it goes and adjusting accordingly.

Quick Reply: Suspension 1989 C4