964 years - what to watch for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:49 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 964 years - what to watch for?

Hello all;

Still in the market for a 964 and looking at a few right now, but as I read through this forum, I see some comments advising people away from earlier year 964's - basically pre-1992.

I also know that things changed between the '89 and the '90's in terms of some options and mechanical changes.

Can anyone walk me through some of the differences, and the watch outs? One car I am looking at is an '89 C4 and am concerned about pursuing the first model year of the 964, but would like some clarity.

Any advise would help.

Thanks

PS Anyone selling a 964 in So Cal, let me know!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:03 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People that own +1992 say do not buy a pre 92 because those years have more issues. People that actually own and maintain a pre 92 say they are fine. Take that as you will.

This also applies to the C2 vs. C4 question you will be wondering about.

With a good PPI I would have no reservations about buying any year.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 136 Posts

I would consider a C2. From what I have read the 964 based C4 can require some expensive repairs related to the AWD systems.

Definitely get a PPI on any model you are considering. If maintenance has been neglected or deferred they can get costly real quick. Make sure you get service records to review.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd agree with Blueheeler. By now - most "pre-'92" issues have been addressed on cars still around and the overall condition and recent (5 yrs or so) maintenance history far outweigh any inherent design weaknesses, IMHO.

I went through all the hand-wringing and teeth-clenthing as I realised my car was probably at the "desireability nadir", "wrong" engine, "wrong" flywheel, "wrong" flag mirrors, etc.

A year into ownership? NO problems that I didn't aleady know about and the car is about as desriable - to me - as I could imagine.

RK
Old 04-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

The best ones are the pre-92's. Otherwise, you have to back date the car to get proper flag mirrors.

Jokes aside, all of the 964's are good, assuming they have been properly maintained and serviced.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C4 Cab

Rocket Rob; One of the cars I am considering is a '90 C4 Cab - Any thoughts on the AWD system or the Top?

Also, the owner reports some leaks, but not sure the case, has your car been rebuilt? What should I be asking?

Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AWD system on the 964 C4 is almost entirely mechanical with only the PDAS traction control system relying on electronics. PDAS has no impact on the mechanical reliability of the AWD system and it is generally considered to be "bomb-proof". I have heard of the odd gearbox issues - but that goes for C2s as well.

The '89 C4s are the ones with the lighter (and more reliable) flywheel as standard but any issues with the dual mass part on later cars will have been sorted years ago.

Regards

Dave
Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Carrera51: I would consider a C2. From what I have read the 964 based C4 can require some expensive repairs related to the AWD systems.
what have you read about repairs to C4 AWD? I'm about to buy another after the last one gave me five years and 40K of trouble free AWD.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by gmiz
Rocket Rob; One of the cars I am considering is a '90 C4 Cab - Any thoughts on the AWD system or the Top?

Also, the owner reports some leaks, but not sure the case, has your car been rebuilt? What should I be asking?

Thanks again.
My C4 has been extremely reliable. I purchased the car in 92 with 26K miles on it. It now has 230K miles with no major engine work. The engine has some drips but runs and pulls well. The car is currently parked, waiting for me to replace its alternator. As for the AWD system, as other have said, its been very reliable. The only issue I've had is a drip from the front diff. It was fixed with a replaced output shaft seal. My top too has been reliable. I had to replace the canvas top back in 96 because the rear window was coming unstitched.

There are lots of threads about what to look for in a 964. My advice is to read as much as you can and be ultra picky. Buying a fantastic car for an extra few thousand is much better than a buying a fixer-upper and having to pay a lot of repair bills. While these cars are wonderful to drive, they can be expensive to repair if they are not maintained properly. So find a mechanic that you can trust and who knows 964's and have them do a thorough PPI (see checklist below) on any car you are serious about.

Good luck with your search and feel free to ask more questions. The folks at Rennlist are very knowledgeable and are always eager to help.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...checklist.html
Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A traceable service history is the best little gem you can find in a car.
These cars are characteristically European: if they were neglected by the previous owner, they will punish the current one.

The pre-'92 thing is basically a non-issue. The AWD system is nearly bulletproof.
And these things have literally gallons of oil in them, so a few drops here or there is no biggie.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Buy on conditon regardless of model year.
'89 doesn't have airbags if that's important.
You mentioned looking at a couple 964s, that's lucky since they are relatively rare in most markets. They all feel a little different, you'll know when you're driving a good one...
Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C4 ? eew.. nothing but trouble Just kidding..
Seriously good luck in your search, that part of the Porsche ownership journey makes it more memorable, take your time and read, read, read.. (and you'll know C2 is the way to go )

Quick Reply: 964 years - what to watch for?