Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension dilemma's for the poor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Boxsey: thanks, I should have known/thought of that.

@Johnygo1: Nice car, noticed it before here. Thanks for the picture and your reply. Looks great, and you mounted the H &R Red springs on your car with stock USA shocks (maybe these are the same as ROW?), which are stiffer but make the car a little (5mm) higher than Eibach sport springs (advertised as Cup height--> 40mm front and 35mm rear side lowering) on the stock shocks, right?

I understand from your reaction that the drive on normal/highway and good condition B-roads is still ok? Did you ever tried on track?
I am somewhat afraid of too much understeer (will use standard swaybars for now so i expect understeer, although I have a strut brace for over front shocks).

Where are the Eibach springs in stiffness and ride height compared to the H&R reds? Due to some search I expect them to be between stock Carrera 4 springs and H & R Reds in stifness. And as said earlier a little bit more lowering the 964 (5mm) compared to Johnygo1.

Which adjustable shocks go well with H&R Red springs or eibachs, for a more regular trak (ab)use?

My preferences now seem to be 1. Eibach due to ride height comparable to CUP (don't know if this is also achieved on stock shocks), 2. H&R Reds.

Thanks for the answers! I really lack experience with the feel of the 964 with all these springs and shocks. So your experience helps me a lot!

Last edited by The Flying Dutchman; 01-05-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

I definately support the HR reds. Still a nice ride on the road but way more body control over the greens if you decide to go for a sporting drive.
I run konis with HR reds and I got custom adjustable swaybars made up 24mm both front and rear and the car rides beautifully on the street and does GT3 lap times on the circuit.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:44 AM
vasculardoc
Instructor

"My head is in all directions of how I'm going to go lower and at a price were I haven't got to sell a Kidney."

I can take the kidney out and transplant it into someone else if you really decide to go the whole hog and spend large
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...son-chart.html
Here is was discussed before (as I remembered) with numbers.

Eibach seems comparable to standard springs --> so these are out of question.

In earlier topics I am finding that H & R Green allow for maximum drop on stock shocks (+10mm RS Europe height) however they are just slightly stiffer over standard C4 springs, and therefore can bottom out. --> anyone experence on this with stock shocks+ H & R green, espescially whenit comes to bottoming out with the H & R greens on bumps, or boating on havy acceleration or deceleration?

H & R Reds seem to make it 50% stiffer at inbound front and back compared to standard C4 (my 1991). I think this make the car quite stiffer, and especially less prone to understeer. However it seems I would end up with +15 to RS Europe heighth. With the thread on standard C4 1991 shocks, will I get close to te 40mm drop? or will 35 mm drop be the maximum?

@johnygo1: Is there maybe a picture of your car from the side, or another car with standard shocks + H & R red?
H&R reds are also known as H&R Turbo shocks, right?

I think I'm getting to my decision. It will be between H&R Red and Green. Where (as I see it now), I should decide on the trade-off between difference in lowering ability (5-10mm difference, right?) and stiffnes of the spings. The best option now seems H&R Red.

(last line for this line: it seems pretty stupid to go RS height (Us height - 50mm) on a Carrera 4. Since RS drop links won't work on C4 + front drive shafts aren't happy with Euro RS ride height.

Last edited by The Flying Dutchman; 01-06-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

KW just came out with V1's for 964s and 993s. I am think this may be a good alternative to HD/Greens.

Maybe we can get FD Motorsports to do a group buy

Last edited by SuperUser; 01-10-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

I would really appreciate the answers on:

1. anyone experence on this with stock shocks+ H & R green, espescially whe nit comes to bottoming out with the H & R greens on bumps, or boating on havy acceleration or deceleration? (just found one reply by a forummer who suggested it would bottom out)

2. H & R Reds seem to make it 50% stiffer at inbound front and back compared to standard C4 (my 1991). I think this make the car quite stiffer, and especially less prone to understeer. However it seems I would end up with +15 to RS Europe heighth. With the thread on standard C4 1991 shocks, will I get close to te 40mm drop? or will 35 mm drop be the maximum? (really interested in this one)

@johnygo1: Is there maybe a picture of your car from the side, or another car with standard shocks + H & R red?
H&R reds are also known as H&R Turbo shocks, right? (95% sure)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Hi,

Not sure on the drop on standard shocks but with koni sport shocks, the car sits perfect. Tyre is about level with the guard. Any lower and it will handle real bad and understeer with standard or normal shaft length shocks as the suspension has no travel.
You can see the car in my pic on the left. That is on medium to soft setting on shocks (soft front swaybar, medium rear swaybar setting as well) and I'm hooking into that turn very hard on a hillclimb track and it sits nice.
Rims in that pic are 17" Boxster S 8.5" (255/40/17) rears and 7" (225/45/17) front.

I had B&G springs which were basically the same spring rate as HR greens prior to the HR reds and the handling difference was quite noticeable. The car feels much more nimble and has much better turn in with the reds. It also has a lot less dive and squat under acceleration and braking.
With the koni's set around medium, the ride is fine on the road and also great for hillclimbs and bumpy tracks and on soft it's cushy for cruising. It really does allow me to have the best of both worlds, that being a nice ride on the road when I want it and all the stiffness I need on the track. I can REALLY recommend you do some bigger swaybars though. HR do a set pretty cheap over there which would be around the right size (24mm front and rear)
Hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Ok thanks Jimjacqmx5!

H&R red springs are the same as H&R Turbo 964 springs, right?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

H&R Reds are the same as H&R Turbo springs for the 964. lowering the car compared to the original spring by 35mm.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

HR Reds are the 964 Turbo (965) or RS America springs. HR part number is 29834

HR Greens are 964 C2/C4 springs, HR part number 29813
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Car will sit as in this pic. Note, the photographer shot the image from below where I was driving so the car , if anything, actually looks slightly lower to look at than in this pic.
Name:  ATTWOOD BY NIKO  3-5-09  (457).jpg
Views: 103
Size:  73.5 KB

Quick Reply: suspension dilemma's for the poor.