Fix my ccu after eight years of not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:01 AM
vernon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix my ccu after eight years of not working

Hi everyone I have had my 964 for a little over ten years! in that time it has really been a great car. But after two years my ccu the fans would start to turn on an off at will then they turn off an I could not get them to turn on again for the last eight years. My car was made in 1989 I though my rear fan motor was bad so I bought a new one an put in but it did not fix the fans from turning on. So I took it a Porsche shop an they said my ccu was bad so I sent it L A to have it check out they sent it back an said that was ok I then took it to a new shop an they check it out an said my fan unit was bad so I bought one an that still did not fix the fans now I did not know what I could do to fix it. So I though the last thing was to get another CCU which I did an that did not help! Now I gave up I live in Lake tahoe an it gets down to 7,8, 12 to16 all time in the winter I need my fans!! I saw on Rennlist that Fuse # 1 an #17 an #28 were part of the CCU system! I pull out these three Fuses to check them the light came on for all three which said they were ok. But the light was very dim so I though that was not right an I then sand the ends an then check them again this time the was they very bright. I turn the car on everything work all the of the fan speeds, all the switchs it is like a new car.!!! I took it out an ran it for a half hour an they ran just fine I do not know that this is just my car but I would try this it mite help you. I spent a lot of money to fix this an none of it help in the long run but I am very happy to have this working again after eight long years of nothing!. Vernon.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, 8 years in the cold and you still stuck with the 964... says it all really. This is another great example of fault finding with the cheapest options 1st, even if it seems really unlikely to be the problem. Thanks for sharing your solution.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Argh! Am itching to try this now but I won't have the car back for another three weeks!! I have had an erratic acting fan since I got the car and if this works for me I'll be pleased.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope you have a word with the shop that charged all that money and did not find the problem. Troubleshooting 101 says to start with checking the power sources and connections. If they are reputable, they will give you a free service of some sort to compensate you.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by vernon
...I saw on Rennlist... I turn the car on everything work all the of the fan speeds, all the switchs it is like a new car.!!! ...I do not know that this is just my car but I would try this it mite help you. I spent a lot of money to fix this an none of it help in the long run but I am very happy to have this working again after eight long years of nothing!. Vernon.

Rennlist to the rescue again! I love this place. Remember not all shops know much about or even like to work on 964s. Way to hang in there Vernon!

Rennlist is the first place to check!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 PM
vernon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the things I did when I bought my 964 a little over ten years ago was to change all my relays in the luggage compartment an in the back where the engine is. I then pulled all the fuses an check them the light came on each time so I put them back in. I have never had a fuse go out in over the ten years that I have had my car. I think all my fuses came with the car so they have been in their a very long time. A few days ago when I pull those three fuses they had a gray film on them I sand that off an now every thing on my ccu works. When I bought the exter ccu an fan control they did not work so I took them out an put in the ones that came with car. I would try this it mite help! Vernon.

Quick Reply: Fix my ccu after eight years of not working