Octane boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about this?

http://www.porsche.com/china/en/acce.../fueladditive/

Porsche service over here in Dubai have recommended using the Porsche approved fuel additive because fuel quality is poor here. When testing the 98 octane it came up to about 94 or something, apparently. I am a little concerned as I know for a fact that our petrol isn't as good as euro's petrol, and I just ordered the Steve Wong chip for 98ROW. Hmmmm
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulie964
I'm not saying you will see dramatic HP gains. But if the knock sensors don't trigger, you ignition will advance. Porsche tunes its cars to run on 93. The info I got from several pro's in the industry is that this advancing results in a difference you can feel in the seat of your pants.

I'm just passing on knowledge that was passed on to me from people involved with this sort of thing for years. If my sources are wrong, then sorry about the bad info. But I feel like those involved with engine building and tuning for 20+ years would have some credible insight on the matter.
I got the same impression from the car mags around the time the 964 was introduced. I think it is not correct. The engine runs on the base map. US cars are tuned for 91 octane fuel. The ecu does not advance the timing if you put in higher octane.

If the knock sensors sound the alarm, the timing gets retarded. If other engine protection sensors report unsafe conditions, the engine goes into "limp home" mode. Either way, you will notice the difference. The car will have a tough time keeping up with freshly-tuned super beetle.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I got the same impression from the car mags around the time the 964 was introduced. I think it is not correct. The engine runs on the base map. US cars are tuned for 91 octane fuel. The ecu does not advance the timing if you put in higher octane.

If the knock sensors sound the alarm, the timing gets retarded. If other engine protection sensors report unsafe conditions, the engine goes into "limp home" mode. Either way, you will notice the difference. The car will have a tough time keeping up with freshly-tuned super beetle.

I don't know about all that. I was in my friends 1999 996 and the manual specifically recommended running 93. I don't have the manual to my car, so I can't say 100% that my 90 964 is the same. But, from my understanding, its the same deal.

If you use lower octane fuel and the knock sensor triggers, which causes the comp to retard, you will feel the lack of power ... right? ... So, consequently, if you use higher octane fuel (93), wouldn't the comp advance the timing? - resulting in additional "power"? ...
Old 04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default chipped

Really another thread but I noticed your point about poor fuel and SW chip. We have the same situation here and I've had the SW chip for 98 ROW in the car for about 4 years now. I've had the engine rebuilt completely once by the OPC for burnt valve guides and other things and then last night it packed up completely on the freeway in a cloud of white smoke. The OPC here says it is the chip at fault causing it to run hot and changing the ignition advance. I'm not up to speed yet on the real issues but my gut feeling for some time has been that this chip is not helping the longevity of my engine and may have contributed to the current problems.

Cheers

Mark

Taiwan/UK

Originally Posted by Amroth
What about this?

http://www.porsche.com/china/en/acce.../fueladditive/

Porsche service over here in Dubai have recommended using the Porsche approved fuel additive because fuel quality is poor here. When testing the 98 octane it came up to about 94 or something, apparently. I am a little concerned as I know for a fact that our petrol isn't as good as euro's petrol, and I just ordered the Steve Wong chip for 98ROW. Hmmmm
Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info Mark! Yes it is another thread as it is really important to me that I have the right chip!

Originally Posted by mark lintott
Really another thread but I noticed your point about poor fuel and SW chip. We have the same situation here and I've had the SW chip for 98 ROW in the car for about 4 years now. I've had the engine rebuilt completely once by the OPC for burnt valve guides and other things and then last night it packed up completely on the freeway in a cloud of white smoke. The OPC here says it is the chip at fault causing it to run hot and changing the ignition advance. I'm not up to speed yet on the real issues but my gut feeling for some time has been that this chip is not helping the longevity of my engine and may have contributed to the current problems.

Cheers

Mark

Taiwan/UK

Quick Reply: Octane boost?