Sponsored by:

sirius

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:11 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sirius

How do you add sirius to the radio? I don't want a separate controller. I need a deck that would integrate the sirius. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Dave White
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally like the stealth of the seperate controller to a factory radio, you could place it in the ashtray or on a sunvisor. Otherwise, aftermarket would be the only way to go. I buy all of my gear at Crutchfield.com. To try to put a newer Porsche unit in would be very complicated, expensive, and you would end up with probably less quality than the aftermarket.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

The cassette coupler sounds pretty good, assuming you still have the cassette. Coupling though an FM link is not a good a sound, and in the Atlanta area I get a lot of popps and other FM noise.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Dave White
Racer

When adding the antenna, you can put it on the rear deck shelf inside the car. Your reception will be fine and it won't ruin the lines of the car. You could also do the front dash, as I did in a Boxster. If you get a small, black antenna, it blends right in.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:54 PM
kmskier
Track Day

Hi Steve

I have an aftermarket system (installed by previous owner). It is a Pioneer with amp in the trunk. It also has integrated bluetooth. I like the system and have decided to keep it. The pros are the sirius and bluetooth but be careful where they mount the mic if you get the bluetooth. Mine is on passenger side visor but should be on driver side. Was probably put on other side to prevent it from falling if visor up/down frequently. The amp in the trunk takes up a lot of space. Not sure I would do it. The installer did a nice job by mounting it to a sheet of plywood and leaving extra wire to allow access to spare.

Good luck!
Keith
Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I already replaced my radio, speakers, and amp a few years ago. I am now thinking of a Kenwood system where the Sirius parts can hide under the dash cover, there is a lot of room under it.

I replaced my CHMSL with the 993 upper wing third brake light. I was wondering if I could pu the Sirius antenna inside of the wing.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Dave White
Racer

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I replaced my CHMSL with the 993 upper wing third brake light. I was wondering if I could pu the Sirius antenna inside of the wing.
Not sure what this means, but if it is plastic, and can fit, it should work. I have an installer friend that put his inside the rear spoiler on his Mazda. Ideally, you want metal beneath it as a ground plane, and only plastic or glass above it, but it doesn't seem to matter too much. They make metal stickers that you can put under the antennas for the improved ground plane.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

the 993 brake light similar to this.

Last edited by stevepaa; 03-04-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Dave White
Racer

Those are nice, I want to do one of those also. If the antenna will fit, should be okay, the hardest part would be pushing the coax connector through the window seal from the outside of the car. If it was me, I would just put it at the back of the parcel shelf, running the wire underneath the shelf. This also keeps it shielded from the elements. Where did you get your brake light, and how is the fit? How are these held on?

Quick Reply: sirius