a/c pressure switch match-up question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts
Question a/c pressure switch match-up question

Hi Guys - this is one of the last steps to reinstalling the entire A/C back into my car. This is a 94, and the line with the pressure switch was supposed to be from a 93 (R134a) yet the fitting for the 3-way Pressure Switch is not correct - won't accept my switch. The line came with a switch attached, but its wires and plug are different than the one on my 94 car. In the pic below, the proper pressure switch is below the odd-ball one that actually fits the A/C line.

My first question is, does anyone know the wiring of the older pressure switch - it has two black and two blue wires, with an old-school four-prong soft plug - anyone have pics of this type of pressure switch plugged in? The new switch has a clip in plug with the wires that correspond to the wiring diagrams for all 964's. I cannot find any indication in any year of 964, for a pressure switch with black and blue wires! Even back to 89 the wiring diagram only has brown, black and orange/white wires, just like my car. I'd prefer to splice in the pressure switch that fits the line, versus change the line, or fabricate an adapter. Where did this pressure switch come from?!

Any ideas for splicing? It's only 4 wires. The inside of the older plug (with blue and black wires) does have the wires labeled 1,2, but doesn't label the #3 and 4. So, why doesn't the wiring diagram have any mention of this switch with this colored wires? Does anyone have a pic of the updated switch and how it attaches to the refrigerant line? Maybe there is just an adapter fitting that I am missing...

Last edited by garrett376; 01-09-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:06 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Ok, just in case someone has to do what I did (use an old 3-position pressure switch from an older A/C line configuration in a car with a newer wiring harness), here is the way it goes together:

The 2 blue wires on the sensor match up to the Orange-White and Black wires from the wiring harness (don't matter which direction they go), and the 2 black wires on the sensor match up to the brown and Brown/Black wires in the harness. Sounds like I might be the only one having encountered this issue, but at least there is now an answer in case this issue comes up for someone else!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks!

Marc

Quick Reply: a/c pressure switch match-up question