Sponsored by:

Photo help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photo help needed

When I bought my 964 last fall, it was missing the rear spoiler wall. With temps going up, I need to install one now.
I have done seaerches and seen instructions on how to do it. But most say to see how and where the old (presumably damaged) wall is attached and I should be able to see how to install new one.
But, with NO wall in place, I cannot see where a new one would attach. Could somebody take a photo of how/where there's is installed and post for me?
I understand this is a fix so easy that even a half-wit can do it and I think I qualify for that.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will try to describe first, then I can try and send photos later.
Some of this gets easier when you lift the spoiler and take a look at it in detail. The spoiler creates a vertical wall who's bottom half ends up being essentially in line with the rotating arm that supports the rear of the spoiler. You can see this arm attached to a gear on the left, and has a bar that connects over to the right side arm. When extending, it rotates past 90 Deg. vertical, to maybe 15 deg. past that when fully open. Look at the rod at the bottom connecting both sides... its about 3/8" in diameter, and goes across the back of the car. Just above this arm are a pair of stubs (both sides) at approximately the same diameter, but maybe about 3/4" long? Something like that. The bottom of the curtain wall uses this shaft and the stubs as the lower connection point. The plastic of the wall is molded with a two channels The upper one slips under the stubs from below and then the bottom channel snaps around the long shaft from the back. (Readers of this who have replaced this will no doubt know what I am talking about, but you might be scratching your head. Go look... its hard to explain...)

The top connection is pretty simple too. Take a close look at the under side of the spoiler. Find the rearmost air grid opening, and pretty much below that is a much smaller male "ridge" that accepts the matching female part of the curtain wall. They usually fail in the middle fold, so you might have the remaining top part of the curtain in place already, so before you take it off, check out the orientation.

The trick is to get the orientation right, especially if you take the spoiler off the car. (recommended) The bottom of the curtain wall needs to snap on the shaft from behind. Orient the channels forward, then project that to the top. I recommend putting the top together off the car, then snapping the bottom in place after you reattach the spoiler.

Not hard. But put padding down before you release the spoiler, so you don't scratch anything if it flops off.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default removing spoiler might not be required...

Originally Posted by tbennett017
....The trick is to get the orientation right, especially if you take the spoiler off the car. (recommended) The bottom of the curtain wall needs to snap on the shaft from behind. Orient the channels forward, then project that to the top. I recommend putting the top together off the car, then snapping the bottom in place after you reattach the spoiler.

Not hard. But put padding down before you release the spoiler, so you don't scratch anything if it flops off.
Look at this 993 DIY: http://p-car.com/diy/spoilerwall/

Note the additional text at the bottom of the webpage, there is a method where spoiler wall replacement only takes a couple of minutes and removing the spoiler is not required.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 04-01-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: text

Quick Reply: Photo help needed