Sponsored by:

O.E. Spoiler Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:33 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.E. Spoiler Help Needed

Stating to focus on smaller issues after finally resolving a LONG bout with engine issues.

My spoiler was previously stuck in the up position, probably because the speedometer was not working. I fixed the speedo by rewiring the sender on the trans. The spoiler remained stuck in up position after driving for several days.

This weekend I checked the motor and drive cable/gears by applying 12v directly to motor, including reversing the polarity. Operation seems normal in both directions.

I positioned the spoiler in the down position and reconnected the power with the key off. The spoiler started to rise immediately, so I disconnected it.

Any suggestions?

I know there are two limit switches on the gear frame, and both seem to be properly making contact at limits. I did not check their switching operation.

But why would the spoiler start to rise with the key off? This is an '89, with the manual control switch under the lid. It would not operate the spoiler in the lowering direction. Could the problem be a bad or stuck manual operation switch? Is there another switch that automatically reverses polarity?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

bump
Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a spoiler control unit fitted under the dash in the case of the '89 cars which contains a couple of relays AFAIK. Your description of the problem suggests that one of those relays may be stuck in the operated condition. Unfortunately the unit is only replaceable as a complete unit - and it's not cheap.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The transister driving the "up" relay in the controller is blown. I have repaired five different inop controllers, and it was blown transisters in every case. I have a working unit for sale in the classifieds, and I am also open to an exhange for your unit.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Great!

Thanks guys. One of THE LAST non-working things on the car. I'm getting closer to dealing with the cosmetics only issues!

Springer, I'll PM you about an exchange.

Quick Reply: O.E. Spoiler Help Needed