uneven ride height

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uneven ride height

My mechanic discovered than my Bilstein shocks are set up at different heights rear/front, at the lowest in the front wheels and higher at the rear...
This is not a good set up (I guess) so I want to lower the rears to get an even ride height (Springs are OE)

Should I expect any trouble getting my rear suspension as low as the front? or should I increase the ride height at the front to match front high?
I use the car mostly in the street but I like to do circuit competition a few times a year....
I was toying with the idea of getting H&R springs with the only caveat that some streets in Buenos Aires are in bad shape and I may destroy a wheel or tire if I'm not careful
Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Henry,

You should compare the ride height to the published figures where you will find that the standard attitude of the 964 IS with the front down slightly when compared with the rear. It's part of the aerodynamic design. Having the car level would allow too much air under the car, increasing the lift and reducing the downforce - exactly the opposite of what's required.

The purpose of the threaded collar on the shocks is to accommodate the corner balancing and it's entirely possible for the settings to vary slightly side-to-side and front-to-back in order to balance the weight of the car evenly.

The H&R Green (C2/4) springs reduce the ride height up to 40mm compared to the RoW standard (50mm on US standard) and are moderately stiffer than the standard springs and tighten up considerably under compression. I would be wary of using them on poor roads.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave!!! so I guess i should leave the set up as it is... my 964 rides rather harsh.... I tend to use tires pressure in the higher side to protect the tires from potholes and the like (35 front-38 rear) you have to understand that tires are expensive here (650 U$S each rear tire of leading brands)

Quick Reply: uneven ride height