Sponsored by:

Steering wheel spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel spacer?

I have a CS steering wheel fitted, which I love, but I would like to get it closer to me. Right now, I have either my legs in just the right postion or my arms, but not both. I have thought of getting a deep dish wheel, but I like the CS wheel too much.

What would the opinion be on having a spacer made? Porsche did offer an optional spacer at one time, but it isn't listed on PET and the main dealers can't help. If I do get one made, what metal should it be made from and can I source longer bolts to mount it between the wheel rim and hub? I am sure my local machine shop can mill a nice piece that would do the job.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The extended steering wheel hub was an option. The wheel should still be available, but the hub never was available alone from the factory. You don't want to know the dealer price for the wheel....

Your best bet is to seach ebay and the likes for steering wheels that fit the post '86 944, the 964, and look at the pics. Most people won't know they have an extended hub on their wheel.

You can also have a spacer made to fit between the hub and the steering wheel, but you are limited because you'll need to modify the trim that goes behind the wheel (or in front of, as the car goes), otherwise the hub will foul this trim, and it wil protrude from the trim and look generally nasty.

Or... go aftermarket.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply George, but I think you missed the CS wheel part of my post. A seperate spacer was available from Porsche for it; they do very rarely come up on Ebay. No modification would be needed to the wheel or hub to fit a spacer on a CS wheel. Just need some advice on the metal to use and longer mounting bolts for wheel to hub.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, missed that part.
Which is the CS wheel?
If it is a round spacer, than any fab shop can turn you one on a lathe, or if you're lucky, a Momo spacer will fit.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Meek - you and me both! I posted on this a few months ago but didn't find a solution. I dont know what my wheel is called, but I think its a CS as well - pic attached. I too want to keep the same wheel and just get a spacer. My Indy couldnt help, and none of the Porsche parts shops could help - they only do spacers for brands (eg Momo).

So, if you find a soluton, I would love to join in. I guess we need a spacer, and also a new rubber boot thingy?

Josh
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Josh, I will let you know what I can get made; will post up here. The original has a black crackle paint finish to the visible edge, so I will go with the same; no need for a new boot. Your wheel is non-OE, so I am not sure if the bolt pattern will be the same as the wheel I have. It probably is, but will have to check. I will swap out my wheel this W/E and take it down to the metal shop and see what they say they can do.

PS none of the standard spacers share the same bolt pattern i.e. Momo, Sparco etc. .
Old 03-20-2010, 05:24 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Thanks Adam. I thought my wheel was a Club Sport version, but dont have an invoice for it so cant be sure. You are right that each brand has its own bolt pattern - I spoke to Porscheshop about this and they compared a momo spacer to the club sport wheel while I was on the phone - no joy. Do you not think we will need a longer rubber boot thingy? or do you think it will stretch over the spacer?

Josh
Old 03-20-2010, 07:14 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Josh, as I said above, you don't need to extend the rubber boot. I would have the visible edge of the spacer painted in black crinkle finish, which looks good and as per the original item. Will be swapping out my wheel, when it stops raining and have a chat with the machine shop next week.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Default UPDATE

I have made contact with ATIWE, the German manufacturer of the OE amd non-OE CS steering wheels and they can supply a 25mm (1") spacer. I will order one and be the guinae pig and report back with the results. The price is 59 Euros plus shipping. Pics below:

Old 03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Default UPDATE

Well, it arrived today and works perfectly, plus looks like a nice bit of kit i.e. suits the Porsche. So much better having the wheel where I want it, rather than compromising.

If anyone else is interested, the contact details for ATIWE are below. The total cost ended up at 84.49 Euros ( 59 + 12 shipping plus 19% tax ). Also note that, like many Germans, they don't take CC payments; bank transfer is the only option for international orders, which adds to the cost.

Email: mayer-stindt at atiwe-rdi.com
Part No. 23409 - spacer 25mm Porsche hub

If anyone wanted to do a group buy, she did offer a price of 54 Euros plus tax and shipping for 10 plus units.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:44 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Thanks Adam - I'm going to check my wheel has the same bolt pattern as the spacer, and if it does then I will be ordering one.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default steering wheel spacer

Will this spacer work with an original OEM 4spoke airbag wheel?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM
9oneone
Intermediate

Hey guys, just picked up my 92 C4 Coupe and loving it! Question though, are there any extended hub options for OEM steering wheel with airbag?? Keen to keep the airbag.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:09 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Zombie thread!

Does anyone know anything about the atiwe-rdi spacer? Does it work with airbags? I'll try and contact them, but thought someone might have some first hand experience.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:38 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd love to hear what you find, would love to get my stock wheel closer to me.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel spacer?