1993 964 with Kicker speaker system option

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:39 AM
superdylan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 964 with Kicker speaker system option

Hi,
Are any of you aware of a 964 that had a Kicker speaker system as an upgrade? I have a 964 that's only a few months old to me. I currently have a pieced together system with 5.25" speakers (Pioneer aftermarket installation) and Kicker tweeters. The reason why I ask is because the Kicker tweeters sit in a special removable piece above the 5.25" speakers and is leather with a porsche stamp on it. And that piece looks like possibly Porsche built it.

My question is: Was Kicker a speaker upgrade an option on the 964?

My other question is: Does anyone know if there was an amplifier and a cd changer that went with this setup?

I'll try to post pics soon.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:41 AM
superdylan
Advanced

Here are the photos. The pics show the driver side (removed) and the passenger side one (installed). The driver side one is the original kicker tweeter. The passenger side one has been modified by me to integrate a Blaupunkt tweeter in its place.

Last edited by superdylan; 03-17-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Doesn't look OEM.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:11 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kicker is an aftermarket speaker manufacturer. Not OEM

The one on the right is a Balupunkt. While they are and OEM supplier that is an aftermarket speaker installed.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

The embossed leather plate is factory. There is a reference to these in Adrian's book somewhere, and tehre is a line in the PET as well.
The speakers are likely not factory, you can see the outline of the original speaker imprinted on the leather around these "Kicker" speakers.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by superdylan
My other question is: Does anyone know if there was an amplifier and a cd changer that went with this setup?....
There is a 20-watt/channel Blaupunkt stereo amp under the passenger seat that I am sure the factory installed. The factory speakers are low-end Blaupunkt units that did not sound very good, and sounded worse after the rubber suspension for the paper speaker cone rotted. Almost all 964s have either after-market speakers or deaf owners.

My car and several I have seen had a Sony CD changer in the trunk. The Sony CD is a dealer-installed option which is linked to the head unit on an FM radio channel. In Atlanta, I could not find a channel that did not pop in the speakers and ruin the listening experience.

Most upgrades are to Infinity speakers that fit the factory openings quite well. The grills in the back needed a dab of RTV since they no longer snapped into place. I used the Infinity grills in the front, but regret it because the aluminum color does not match the original appearance.

It takes a stronger amp and sub-woofers to get 964 sound even close to modern standards. I am not willing to add weight, and find it delightful to listen to the mechanical symphony of the engine and drivetrain.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superdylan
Hi,
Are any of you aware of a 964 that had a Kicker speaker system as an upgrade? I have a 964 that's only a few months old to me. I currently have a pieced together system with 5.25" speakers (Pioneer aftermarket installation) and Kicker tweeters. The reason why I ask is because the Kicker tweeters sit in a special removable piece above the 5.25" speakers and is leather with a porsche stamp on it. And that piece looks like possibly Porsche built it.

My question is: Was Kicker a speaker upgrade an option on the 964?

My other question is: Does anyone know if there was an amplifier and a cd changer that went with this setup?

I'll try to post pics soon.
kicker is not original.
boston (which produces speaker/separate tweeter for the front in stock 964 size), infinity, alpine & pioneer are all decent speaker upgrades (imo in that order).
stock amp is weak and of poor quality (upgrading speakers without new amp does not do justice to new speakers). lot of 964 owners prefer not to upgrade using the argument that hearing engine noise is preferable. i agree to certain extent....but for a long drive (esp. with the cab) at speed there is nothing better than stones wailing on a good audio set up. there are amps that will fit under the pass. seat/stock location...trunk install is perhaps better for where extra weight is preferable, and runs cooler there.
upgraded head unit will allow for mp3 and/or usb and/or ipod dock(s) to be wired into the glovebox....saves on carrying whole bunch of cd's (our old ipod holds about 500 songs, so we gaveaway/trashed cd's last yr.)
if you are a purist there is optioned cd changer that was available for the factory system (trunk mounted on a special bracket) and if you post up a request may find used one from someone who has upgraded their system.

Quick Reply: 1993 964 with Kicker speaker system option