Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered my MoTec

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse me as I come from the BMW community but I haven't been able to understand why more people don't use the throttle position vs RPM method of engine management on these cars. Especially with something like Motec why even bother using a MAP sensor? You stated above that you have wideband control with this kit, I assume this means you are going to wire in a wideband oxygen sensor that will feedback to your EMS and correct the fueling based on actual instantaneous AFR's. This is the type of engine management I run in my 88 M3 and it works great no matter what ambient temperature and pressure are. The system adjusts to compensate for how much air is being sucked in. This is a piggyback EMS running off of the stock Motronics ECM. The only drawback to this is I can't adjust timing (ok maybe this is a big drawback). This can still be manipulated with a custom burned chip though. The very big positive side here is that the whole setup can be tuned by me (after reading the manual and studying a bit). I'm not sure the same can be said with the more complicated Motec systems.

That being said, if I could afford Motec and pay a professional to tune it, I would definitely do so. But for the price it seems a little expensive for a naturally aspirated street car.

At the same time I think it would be a lot of fun to setup a Motec system and learn how to program it, and as far as what's available for these cars, it seems like one of the few options. Does anyone install Megasquirt on these cars?

Quick Reply: Just ordered my MoTec