964 vs. Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 964 vs. Boxster S

Hello..
I've been lurking on this site for some time now and have been lusting over Porsches for years. So I finally decided to sign up and ask some questions.

I remember the first time I saw a Porsche, I was 8 years old and I broke my arm. My orthopedic doctor had a black 964 Turbo and I thought it was the most amazing thing on four wheels. Well now I'm 24 and a Captain on a towboat in the Gulf region. I've been stopping in at Euroclassics in Richmond, VA over the past couple months and have got my eyes set on a 2001 Boxster S or a 1991 964 C2 cabriolet. I know, totally different cars so it's like apples and oranges, lol. Both cars look well taken care of. I finally set up a test drive for Saturday.

I've noticed that Euroclassics seems a little overpriced, but it seems like they've got everything in order. I'll be trading a Volvo S60R ( a bad*ss car by the way)plus cash so hopefully they'll come down in price some. My price ceiling is 24k.

I first looked at the Boxster S, but lately have been doing alot of research online about the IMS, RMS, and other issues with the m96 engine. I've been kind of leaning away from the water cooled Porsches just for that reason. I have the money to replace the engine if the IMS ever failed, but I really dont want to and I dont really want to have to worry about it happening to me.

Then I took notice to the older air cooled Porsches again. 993s are out of my price range, as are the new GT2/3s and Turbos. Then I noticed their 1991 C2 cabriolet. IMHO I prefer the look of the 964 to the 993. It's older but I dont have to worry about it's IMS failing and blowing up, although as an older car I can expect to have to shell out some extra $ for routine and preventative maintenance. It also has backseats, if that's what you'd call them, lol. It seems like the engines in the 964s are almost bulletproof and overall are a better made car.

If I do decide to get one I am planning on having a PPI done at Lufteknic in Richmond.

So does anyone here have any experience dealing with Euroclassics in Richmond? Lufteknic? Any opinions on whether the 964 or Boxster S? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I also posted this over in the Boxster forum to get their opinions..
Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Wait a tough captain in a boxster? Your crew will start saying yes ma'am! Right away ma'am!
Now that I got that out of the way i think you will find here there is no more maint on a 964 over a boxster if the 964 was well maintained plus there is a bunch out there with lots of maint items just done like clutches, seals etc.

Probably more 964's with these repairs then the boxsters just because the 964 are older and all of them should of needed it rather then a leased boxster that the owner could care less and says well the next guy will fix it.

I can't speak for boxster engine reliability, but I can say they are no faster from the few I destroyed in a stock 964.

Also just an idea you can for the same money as a boxster or 964 get a 996 (only if updated ims issues etc) They make wonderful daily drivers and you can find then in the high teens to low 20's.

Personally i would not buy a boxster, but that is my preference because I see too many girls driving them
Old 02-25-2010, 07:30 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another thread for you research:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...hlight=boxster

Look forward to hearing what you decide
Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
da_gleadless
Advanced

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Personally i would not buy a boxster, but that is my preference because I see too many girls driving them
funnily ehough thats seems to be ringing true lol!

I'd have a boxster as a daily driver, but only if I had 964 to spend my weekends with

Unfortunately for me its either public transport or a crappy new hire car (hired for work), but I wouldnt give up my weekends in my 964 for many other cars on the road

You could an excellent 964 for £24k

(there was beautiful white cab sold on for 24k on Pistonheads but the advert has been removed)

I bought my targa recently for £12k and wouldnt dream of selling, then agan why would you sell the car of your boyhood dreams?

(it was mine too)
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

funny thing was i was watching Top Gear the other night and they did a review on the boxster and the funniest line was something like this.

The boxster only says you finally bought a porsche but life just went a bit wrong because you couldn't afford the 911. I do it no justice, but to me the boxster is like a moped fun to ride but just don't let yoru friends catch you!! Just like fat chicks lol
Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 PM
h_walker
Intermediate

If you have the garage space, you could have both! I own a 2000 Boxster and a 1990 964 C2. The Boxster is the most reliable car I have ever owned with only yearly maintenance, tires and 1 set of front pads and rotors so far with over 60K miles on it since new. We drove it from Montreal to Key West on one trip, and then to Miami a couple of years later with no drama what so ever. We had my golf clubs + our luggage + all of her shoes completely out of site (try that in any 911). I bought the 964 in 2005 because I wanted to do Driver's Education events and did not want to use the Boxster. It costs me more per year, but I also throw upgrades at it every year, and I had the engine torn apart, rebuilt and resealed (she was a leaker). Oh, and in 4 years of Driver's Ed, the only problem I have had was a blown power steering belt. I use the Boxster in the summer as a daily driver, but the 964 keeps me more involved, and I look forward to taking it out. I get more looks, more chases, more thumbs up and always hear, "Nice car!" in the 964. If I wake up and feel like I need a "boost" during the summer, I will drive the 964, or I will go for a 30 or 40 minute drive when I come home at night after a crappy day. There is something magical about the Boxster with the top down on a warm summer night that is tough to beat so the decision can be a tough one. I love them both!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Thanks for the input so far..
Lol, I know what you mean about seeing lots of chicks in boxsters. I've heard that from more than a few people..lol..I'm also attracted to the classic-ness of the 964. I've seen countless boxsters on the road around here, while only a few 964s. Well, not countless, but def. alot more than any other Porsche.

I had thought about getting an early year 996 because they are affordable, but I'm set off for the same reasons as the boxster, the IMS/RMS problems. I don't want to spend 20k on something that might blow up at any time, no matter what the odds are of it happening. I'm used to having old cars. My first car was an old Monte Carlo SS and right now we've got an '88 528i, 85 Volvo, 86 monte carlo LS, and the list goes on, lol, sitting out in the driveway. So I'm no stranger to having to mess with stuff and doing-it-myselfing. I guess we'd much rather be surrounded by steel and leather instead of fiberglass and plastic, lol.

I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, so I'm in no need for a real daily driver. I live on the boat. Just something to take the old lady out to eat a few nights a week, the bar, and to have fun driving in. In the future I might be interested in taking it to the track.

wellcraft290: I hope you mean that you destroyed a few boxsters on the track or street? Not engines in the 964, right? lol
Old 02-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great cars! Make sure you spend time with both. The 964 looks, sounds and smells like a Porsche, it feels modern and yet classic simultaneously.

Given similar maintenance, lack of depreciation etc. I'd say that the 964 looks a country mile better than the boxster and will be worth more than a boxster when it comes time to sell (although with 4 seats its more practical and I still drive mine with 3 kids, so maybe you wouldn't ever sell a 964).
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

To be totally honest, I could give you 101 reasons why to buy a 964, but that would be unfair. It is not the car for everyone, not the car for most people. 964s can be expensive to maintain. If you are willing to spin some wrenches and read the forum, you cut that cost in half. It is not a modern car. Modern cars are about isolating the person in luxury from the road, 964 is about direct feel between a driver and the road. The car is engaging. 964 is nothing more than a street gokart road race car. I would not have it any other way. Get in one, drive one, then you will know.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like the 964 better than the Boxster but the Boxsters are a fun drive. The 964 can also be expensive to repair and maintain if you don't do your own work. Clutch $3000-3500, top end rebuild $8000 plus, 15k maintenance $1500. I do not believe Boxsters are this expensive to maintain or fix. Your $24k price ceiling should buy a very nice example of either car. I would suggest driving other examples of the 964 and Boxster and decide which one you like better, then get a PPI and go for it. BTW I wouldn't worry about the image so much, pick the right color and lower it a bit and a Boxster can look pretty damn good

Your 1988 528i must be a Euro, cool car. I love the e28 BMWs.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
roblav
Advanced

I'm fairly new to the 964 (89 C4), but it still feels very similar to all my very early year 911's (66's-72's - 8 of them) - it's just a bit more refined. I like it better than the 930's (76-82) I test drove some years back. It still retains the look, the feel, the sound, and the smell of the 911. It raises the adrenalin level almost like the old ones.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:23 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've test-driven a few 964s and it's a different world from the Boxster, certainly more visceral. I think they're better looking than 993s (shhhh!). However, the end of the day I'd go with the Boxster if it's going to be a daily driver. It's a fact that the 964s are old, and maintenance/repairs will cost you more. A Boxster S will provide 90-100% of the Porsche experience of the 964 with more reliability and practicality.

If you're looking in the '01 model year you should be spending much less than $24k, even after an aftermarket warranty. In that price range you can easily find an '03 or '04 with the glass top and other small improvements. Get a PPI, and find a car with a decent service history. Many of these cars were third cars in a family, look for one that's light on miles and high on the options you like. They're not hard to find.

One last thing--I don't give a rat's *** about whether or not people think my car is "chick," and neither should you. I've driven everything from a white-on-white mk1 VW Cabriolet to New Beetle Turbo to my current station wagon, and managed to attract some damn fine women behind the wheel of each, including my wife. It's the man, not the car. I've gotten more negative attention in my "manly" 997 C2S then in all the other cars combined--it's the only thing I don't like about the car.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 AM
bwoodry
Racer

I have both the 964 C4 and the Boxster S
I like my 964 for its raw sound, tank like construction, amazing engine sound,beautiful lines, fun DE car, great long distance driver, just a masterful piece of engineering really...

The Boxster S, Great Auto X car, very comfortable driver, fun with the top down, pretty quick at a DE.
IMS potential failure, sure, it could happen ,, but many things Could happen,

The 964 if properly maintained will last forever but it must be properly maintained, previous abuse could amount to large bills, expensive to replace engine and to replace clutch. Otherwise a extremely reliable

Boxster , Very reliable , easy to work on great handling car, very fun,,

Both are fun and both are Porsche's . Daily Driver , Boxster wins, Race car fun,, 964 wins
Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Dave White
Racer

I owned both a few years ago. I have owned my 964 for 10 years or more, but I bought a 2002 BoxsterS for my daily driver around 4 years ago. I loved that car, as did my wife, whom does not like the 964. It is easier to drive, not as quirky with the ergonomics, etc. The speed was about the same, but believe me, it would run circles around a 964 in the twistys. That was the best handling car I have ever driven, plus mine had stability control, which was great in the winter with snow tires. (Yes, I garaged the C4 for the winter! It's getting old and I want it to last) The only reason I sold it is I realized I'm not a convertible person. (got sunburned every time I went for a ride with the top down) If you don't have kids, I think it is more practical on a trip as the 2 trunks hold a lot of stuff. That being said, it felt flimsy compared to the 964, which is built like a tank. If you were planning on keeping the car for years and years, I'd take the 964. If you would keep it until the payments are done and buy something else, I'd take the newer BoxsterS as it should be more reliable. For your price point, I would highly recommend getting at least a 2003 BoxsterS, when they went to glass rear windows. The BoxsterS will never have the cache as a 911, but if you want lower maintenance and better stock handling, it would be the better choice. Any of you out there that haven't driven one should try it, the level of cornering is eye opening!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

i have to be honest you all speak about higher maint on a 964. What maint. Change the oil and your good to go. knock on wood i have had just oil changes, and a leaky steering pump but been good. Most people here have replaced coils and plugs and wires but that is 90% of the issues

Quick Reply: 964 vs. Boxster S