Sponsored by:

Scantool Software and Connectivity

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scantool Software and Connectivity

In advance of the huge risk of sounding stupid to the whole forum my excuse will be that the forum search is not working again for me and i know nothing about electronics.

Anyway, i was looking through ebay and stumbled across this item - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-19-pin...item4a9ed04d2e

Now the dumb bit. I know there is some software to download on the forum from Doug Boyce i think, so i was wondering if with the above cable and then adding an obd2 to usb cable would this allow a laptop to work as a scantool device or would i still need the (too difficult for me to build) circuit board i have seen so many times on here?

Forgive my lack of electronics knowledge
Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you still would need the circuit board between the plug and computer.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a software called ScanTool that is available in various versions that runs on a windows laptop. The issue here is the connectivity from the OBD1 plug in the 964. It requires a circuit board in between that handles the data and access the car's systems.

I can tell you that I am working on a group buy for those circuit boards. I haven't finalized the details yet, but it will be similar to the OBD1 Group Buy that Ricardo D put out a year or so ago. I am working with him to create another run.

If you can wait a little while, we should have a plug n play solution for you within a couple of months.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
There is a software called ScanTool that is available in various versions that runs on a windows laptop. The issue here is the connectivity from the OBD1 plug in the 964. It requires a circuit board in between that handles the data and access the car's systems.

I can tell you that I am working on a group buy for those circuit boards. I haven't finalized the details yet, but it will be similar to the OBD1 Group Buy that Ricardo D put out a year or so ago. I am working with him to create another run.

If you can wait a little while, we should have a plug n play solution for you within a couple of months.
If this is true, Will we be able to bleed the diff locks on a C4?
P.S. Love your valve tool.
Dwane
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by d964
If this is true, Will we be able to bleed the diff locks on a C4?
P.S. Love your valve tool.
Dwane
Scantool program does not do that. maybe someone will add it to the program.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, that was the limitation. The interface board handles the communication, but Scantool needs to access those functions. That is not my area of expertise, unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Scantool Software and Connectivity