Sponsored by:

Erratic Idle and hard stalling w/ a solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:21 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Erratic Idle and hard stalling w/ a solution

I've had an eventful weekend with the 964. I'm currently away from home for work so I don't really have much more than the tool kit available to me. On Saturday I drove about an hour with no issues at all. When I returned to the car it started as normal, however stalled out as I went to drive away. Didn't think much of it other than the fact that I must really suck at driving....well I try it again and catch the stall, however once I got going the car would intermittently stall hard and than catch itself. Mind you I had no warning lights, audio tones nor electrical indications while driving. The car was basically not drivable. I checked the plugs wires (pushed on them to verify they were seated), dist/rotor and belt, ICV, air leaks, and coils and could not find an obvious issue with any.

Well jump forward 24 hours and many hours of cleaning off various grounds and connections (battery, coils, alternator, Idle/WOT microswitches, hall sensor, etc) and still had the same issue. I had all but religated myself to flat-bedding it and decided to go back and check the plug wires once again, only this time I pulled each off (at the valve covers) and reseated each. VIOLA, problem solved and a rock steady idle (which I didn't previously have).

Anyhow, leason here for me was to fully check some of the simpler items thoroughly. If I would have just pulled and reset the plug leads as oppossed to just pushing on them I would have saved myself a substantial amount of time. Hope my experience helps someone in the future....still can't figure out how a lower plug lead became unseated.

Quick Reply: Erratic Idle and hard stalling w/ a solution