Sponsored by:

HELP - Cabriolet Top Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:01 PM
rswan55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Cabriolet Top Problem

I'm a newbie C4 Cab owner (haven't even driven her with the top down yet), and I was putting the top down today just so I could familiarize myself with how it works so I'll be ready when Spring finally arrives here in Chicago - and as it was going back, one of the arms "snapped" and created a tear in the canvas. I literally want to throw up - or cry - not sure which.

I had to struggle just to get it back into the locked position (closed). I don't want to even try to open it again. The break/rip is on the passenger side, just behind the upper left corner of the passenger window (towards the back). What I did see before I closed it up, was a break in a "joint" near the arm of the mechanism. It looked like a break in something plastic - not like a metal joint or anything. I don't want to try to open it up again to look because I'm afraid of not being able to get it closed again. Any thoughts? Who do I look to for a repair of this kind? Does it have to be a porsche dealer? Thanks for any advice...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My porsche mechanic is fixing my top. Almost every bar on the frame is replacable. New fabric is available as well. I would take it to a convertible shop or your porsche dealership.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 PM
BobH20man
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rswan--I have a cab too but never that problem. But if and when you need to replace the top, also replace the headliner. When I was negotiating the purchase of my '91 964 via email and phone about 5 years ago, the dealer agreed to split the cost of a new top because of a tear. When I drove 4 hours and picked up the car at night I did not notice the headliner had not been done. About a year later several tears in the liner than had been patched needed to be fixed. The car uphosltery place told me the cost to replace the liner would have been nominal if done when the top was replaced. But doing it separately cost about $300. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Voodoo964
Intermediate

Hi, i've had lots of trouble with mine. nothing has snapped as yet but when i bought it only one of the gearboxes was connected. the reason being the gearbox had managed to free itself from the chassis. I had to rivet in new plates to attach it to then rebuild it with new parts. Its working very smoothly now. That was my first real diy job on the car and if i can do it...

To cut to the chase, there are 2 bolts which connect the drive in the gearbox to the roof mechanism. Directly under the B-pillar you'll see a small black plastic cap, take this off and you'll see a brass bolt under neath(your wheel wrench will fit it). If you loosen these bolts(one driver side, one passenger side) just so the arm can move out slightly you'll be able to drop the roof manually. Use the electric mechanism to unlock the roof until you hear the side motors engage. Best get someone to help you, drop the roof slowly and see whats broken. Take a few pics...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

+1

Doc
Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM
rswan55
Intermediate

Thanks for everyone's help/advice. I've almost been too upset to look into it any further. According to the previous owner, my top was recently replaced. I assumed this was just the fabric - cause it's in fantastic shape - or should I say "was". I'll take it to my local mechanic and see what he thinks - cause something definitely snapped.

One other question - when researching new tops online, it looks like they can be had for less than $600, but there are a couple of options and they are also available in front, back, or both. If my tear is in the "back" section, can I get away with just replacing that? My window is in great shape - no oxidation.

Any advice is well appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I feel so sorry for you! I read this when you posted it and was telling my wife and kids about it.

My son (7) checks the bars and the bolts in the back of the car almost everyday for me as he knows I am paranoid about a breakage. Each day as I back out of the driveway to go drop him at school a little voice chimes out "everything checked back here dad!" ...so get yourself a seven year-old and you'll have insurance going forward...
Old 02-23-2010, 03:05 PM
rswan55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
I feel so sorry for you! I read this when you posted it and was telling my wife and kids about it.

My son (7) checks the bars and the bolts in the back of the car almost everyday for me as he knows I am paranoid about a breakage. Each day as I back out of the driveway to go drop him at school a little voice chimes out "everything checked back here dad!" ...so get yourself a seven year-old and you'll have insurance going forward...
That's hilarious! Thanks for the thoughts! I have an 8 year old and she loves it in the back. Sad thing is, she can't wait for summer to have the top down. Also, it wasn't even a bolt or a bar, but more a connector where it folds at the top back of the passenger window. Strange - just seems like it torqued under the weight for some reason. Maybe it had something to do with it feeling its very first cold weather...she'd been in Texas for all 18+ years prior to this Dec.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, you already have a 'helper' installed. She'll be a 'Porsche Kid' soon enough, lol!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 PM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your rip look like this...

Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 AM
rswan55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jason_964T
Does your rip look like this...

YEP...only it goes the other way...front to back, but it's in exactly the same spot. Advice?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The tear was the result of only one side of the top going up. One of the metal sections snapped tearing the canvas. The shop I went to welded the broken section and mended the canvas. A replacement section was quite $$$. The roof motors were fine, but the cables were replaced. A little scaring is left from the tear (adds character), but all's in good working order. I may get around to replacing top one day, but its not a priority. I did find more info from a search of forum after my incident.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rswan, did you get the top fixed yet? What was the end result? Hope all is well and you got it sorted without too much pain involved. Cheers, --Howard
Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
rswan55
Intermediate

Default it's at the shop now...

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Rswan, did you get the top fixed yet? What was the end result? Hope all is well and you got it sorted without too much pain involved. Cheers, --Howard
Dropped it off on Friday. One of the "hinges" (the one at the top left corner of the passenger window) snapped. He said this is somewhat common, as Porsche still stocks this part new. He was trying to track down a used hinge to save me some $$$. Not sure of the estimated cost yet - supposed to hear today. Still keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be too bad. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In my case it was $5k including a new top and transmission cables.

JF

Quick Reply: HELP - Cabriolet Top Problem