Sponsored by:

Warning flags to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 AM
flash_malmö
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning flags to look out for?

I'm in the market for a 964 and before investing to much funds in a Porsche I would like to start out cheap and later perhaps change up.

I am considering a 1989 C4 with about 100.000 miles on the clock. Apart from the cosmetic level (I can check that) what should I worry about when considering this car?

Thank!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM
roblav
Advanced

The million O-rings and seals on the car are now rock hard.

The engine leaks oil, the PDAS hydraulic slaves leak brake fluid, the oil lines are brittle...etc.

And then the list of things that are worn out.

Don't buy a cheap un-maintained Porsche. I've done it many times, and there are advantages and disadvantages. You will NOT save any money. But you WILL learn about the car and perhaps appreciate it more.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Most important thing is to have a pre-purchase inspection( PPI), by a qualified independent Porsche shop.
Make sure they include compression & leak down tests. This will give you an indication of what you may have to spend.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:32 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flash_malmö
....I would like to start out cheap and later perhaps change up....
You are on a fool's errand if you think you are going to save money in the long run. There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:15 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Springer said. It's like getting a "free puppy". The vet and the dog food maker don't differentiate "free" from "thoroughbred".
If you like working on cars and it checks out, go for it. 100,000 miles aren't a lot of miles on a Porsche IMHO. Just make sure you save some money for maintance. It won't be like owning a Honda, but you will get geat times driving and yes even some frustrations running it. If you do get it, post pics and we're here to help!!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 AM
flash_malmö
Advanced

Originally Posted by pat056
What Springer said. It's like getting a "free puppy". The vet and the dog food maker don't differentiate "free" from "thoroughbred".
If you like working on cars and it checks out, go for it. 100,000 miles aren't a lot of miles on a Porsche IMHO. Just make sure you save some money for maintance. It won't be like owning a Honda, but you will get geat times driving and yes even some frustrations running it. If you do get it, post pics and we're here to help!!
Thanks, I love the helpful spirit on this forum - looking forward to joining in when I get a 964.

I'm now comparing with a 92' with less miles on it, trying to see if the price difference is in fact what I will end up paying after I get the cheaper one.....might end up the same cost.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

92 does have some enhancements over the 89, from the factory. also unless it will be a daily driver (wet & snow) theC2 tends to be nimbler/potential for less mechanical issues (imo no desire to spark debate).
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
suezen
Intermediate

Hello flash_Malmö,

I just live 20 km from you (assuming you live in Malmö). Send me a private message and I will be happy to give you my phone number. I may be able to provide you with some support (I spent a lot of time gathering info before I finally purchased my 964)

/Anders
Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

I would seriously look at the '92 C2. It's lighter than the C4. I think I remember the early 4 wheel drives being a little more problomatic than the newer. Also, the '92 may have the seepage issue solved; if not, see if the crankcase seeps or has this issue been addressed.
I think the '89 had a valve train issue the 90 and above doesn't have.
Not sure if the 89 has the G50 transmission but that may be worth the difference.
Do a search and you can get better, more reliable info than what I'm sharing. Feel free to ask questions if needed.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:06 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

+1 on PPI (absolutely necessity) and well maintained, with proof, car, unless you can enjoy the car sufficiently just looking at it sitting in your driveway. Mine has been on blocks about half the three years I've owned it.

'89 is one-off re: clutch and bell housing and a few other parts. No air bag (a plus or a minus?). STRONGLY recommmend you look for a later, non-inaugural model year (Do as I say, not as I did.). In today's market, you should be able to get a later one for about the same $$.

However, I highly recommend the C4. If you're a new to 911's buyer, I think you'll appreciate the stability of the C4 vs. tail-happy 2wd models (I've owned three). It's hard to put a value on the confidence of taking a cloverleaf at high speed in the rain.

I won't argue the pros and cons of C2 vs C4 here (you can find links to those previous discussions), except to say that it's pretty much personal preference. Performance differences are minimal, unless it's going to be primarily a track car, and 4wd has proven to be minimally more expensive to maintain.

PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI
Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=pat056;7317686]I think the '89 had a valve train issue the 90 and above doesn't have.
Not sure if the 89 has the G50 transmission but that may be worth the difference.QUOTE]

I'm not aware of any valve train differences, and I'm up to my knees in mine right now.

It does have the G50. Trans in my 110K car is still tight and smooth, with the right lube.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
cabjorn
4th Gear

Hi flash_malmö,

I can recommend a book, it covers a lot of aspects, also the changes made from factory during production yeas. I guess I will see you in the surroundings of malmö and on the PCS meetings.

http://www.bokus.com/b/9780837602936.html
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 AM
flash_malmö
Advanced

Thumbs up

Thank you everybody for your kind support and answers.

Never thought there would be this many fellow Swedes living nearby on here!

I closed on a well kept GR 92 C2 with LSD this weekend and drove her home. Can't believe it, I keep finding strange excuses to walk by the garage to have a look at her ;-)

Pictures;

I know I know, you will be asking for pictures. However after 700km drive in damp weather she does not look her best. I promise, pictures will come.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Redcoat
Instructor

Originally Posted by flash_malmö
I know I know, you will be asking for pictures. However after 700km drive in damp weather she does not look her best. I promise, pictures will come.

This isn't the Concours forum, just get the pictures up!

Congratulations - four months since I got mine and the novelty has yet to wear off
Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Congrats. Dirty Porsche photos are the best IMHO. The novelty does not wear off, it may become more manageable.

Quick Reply: Warning flags to look out for?