Sponsored by:

Left Stranded!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I fear that there is a hole in the tank.
How long do you think it will take to get the tank out ?
If you put a quart of oil in the top , does one quart come out ?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:41 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I put 2 qts in today.
I didn't wait very long.
I started the engine and watched carefully for oil pressure, temperature and level, as I was uncertain how much oil I had lost.
The pressure was fine.
As the engine started to warm up the level came up to 3 o'clock, and ultimately to 2 o'clock, indicating that I had lost a bit less than 2 qts from the big spill in the city.

At first there was no leak.
As the engine started to warm up a slow drip started.
I only ran the engine for about 10 mins, so it never got hot. The temp gauge didn't even move; as I recall, though, at that point I was focused on the growing leak.

After shutdown it ran to a near stream; as seen on the video.
It was still dripping very slowly about an hour later.

I suspect that there is a leak up high on the tank, but I can't imagine how, or why. Perhaps the seam is leaking?

What has dripped out is far less than a quart; more like a cup; perhaps a bit more.

I'll take a look in the morning and see if it's still dripping and how much has come out.

Some of the lines are showing their age. Particularly the "woven" one that runs through the wheel well to the oil filter console.

I think it's time to replace hoses and lines, pull the tank, and figure out what's going on.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Oh, and I'm not sure how long it'll take to remove the tank, but the threads I've seen so far are not very encouraging.

It seems like this is going to be a bit of a job.

So be it.

I've replaced a lot of parts on this car. Hopefully things'll settle down soon and I'll get another 20 yrs of reasonably trouble free motoring out of the car!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Two quarts in and one cup out ?

If you put more oil in the top and it leaks out
I would think that points at the tank .
When you add more oil to the tank when the motor is not running
you are only changing the level of oil in the tank , you are not adding more oil to the lines or tstat housing .

"but I can't imagine how, or why."
rust pit ?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:01 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default leak

well if your going to pull the tank. i would cap off all the connections and fill with hot water and leak check. its possible that i t might be a seam leak. the tank appears to be 2 pieces made into 1. perhaps a bad joint - solder or brass, dont know what they use. if you dont leak check the tank and just replace the hoses you going to be pissed if it leaks again. seeing you have the side skirts apart you definatly have some mechanical skills. i am sure you can handle it. if the tank is showing a bad seam i am sure this can be repaired , dont know what a new one would cost, dont want to find out either. good luck
Old 02-20-2010, 10:34 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Just took another look . . .

I've dropped 20 oz in the past 8 hrs; since I added the 2 qts and ran the engine.

It's now dripping one drop every 10 to 15 secs.

It is dripping from the thin bit of the tank which juts forward (adjacent to the #5 in the diagram above).

I'm certain that it isn't a fitting as I've cleaned again and wrapped with paper towels to isolate the two bottom fittings. I can also get a finger on that thin bit of tank through the access hole in the body work (what the heck is that for?) where I had the piece of cardboard to catch the drips.

I cleaned that thin bit of tank and oil re-forms and drips from there.

Tomorrow morning I'll consider adding another quart to see what happens, but I'm thinking that I'm going to have to pull that tank out.

I'm traveling a couple of days next week and all of the following. I'll try and get hoses ordered so that I can pull the tank that following weekend.

I'll post as I learn more.

The adventure continues! :-)

Cheers
Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Indycam
Two quarts in and one cup out ?
I think that more oil comes out when the engine is running and when the oil is hot.

The original scenario was a bit more complicated than I orignally stated. I drove to the city, parked, returned a hour later and found oil. I had another meeting uptown. I started the car and the pressure and temp were good so I drove and found oil. Put in two quarts to get the level back to normal (3 o'clock by the gauge).

I then drove uptown in traffic keeping a careful eye on the gauges; with my heart in my throat!

Several hours later I found a bigger spill under the car at a street level lot.

I then decided to tow rather than try and find more oil and drive again.

If you put more oil in the top and it leaks out
I would think that points at the tank .
I'll try this.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default oil tank

as the car sit the oil migrates to the engine, thats why you have to wait till the car is warm and check the oil with it running. if you ever changed oil with the car warm not much oil comes out the tank but lots comes out the engine block. now if the car is warmed up and you drain the oil its the oposiite lots out the tank and less out the block.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch
as the car sit the oil migrates to the engine, thats why you have to wait till the car is warm and check the oil with it running.
Are you thinking the scavenging pump doesn't pick up the oil pooled in the case until the motor is warmed up ?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:29 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default oil

i am saying that oil pools to the engine after sitting for a while, how long i do not know. but as soon as the engine is started the scavenge pump is returning oil to the tank immediatley. its takes a little time for the system to fill the tank at idle conditions. iam not the best writer but i hope this makes senses.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:15 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

This morning I added a quart.

The leak had nearly stopped with little discernible oil added to the catch basin.

After adding the quart the leak resumed, though at the slow rate of a drip every 15 seconds.

That was approximately 10:30am this morning.

12 hrs later the drip continues, but has slowed to one drop ever 30 seconds.

I haven't measured the quantity of the leak, but it appears to be in the 1 cup, or less, range.

The temperature here was in the high 30's today and is now in the high 20's; Fahrenheit.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Has anyone done a step by step diy guide to tank removal for the 964 ?
I think maybe you have an excellent chance of forever having your name / work enshrined in the diy section of rennlist .
Now don't that make you look forward to getting under that car ?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Has anyone done a step by step diy guide to tank removal for the 964 ?
I think maybe you have an excellent chance of forever having your name / work enshrined in the diy section of rennlist .
Now don't that make you look forward to getting under that car ?
I've just ordered the hoses for this job; most are badly worn so I'm doing all, but the two long ones from the top.

Having made the $$ purchase I'm pleased to be reminded to look at the bright side of things.

I feel better already! :-)
Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Default Update: Found a hole; two actually

I've removed the oil tank. It was a bit of a job. I'll post a thread later on tips-n-tricks with a discussion of the process I followed.

I've cleaned the tank a bit and put a wire brush to it and have found a bunch of pitting. In fact, at least two of the pits are actually holes.

Here are a couple of pics:

Can anyone provide me with some advice on possibly repairing this tank?

Or, should I be looking for a replacement? If so, is used a viable option?

Well, it does feel good to find the problem!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:10 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Dfinnegan

If you want to repair it yourself acid core solder works great. Clean it with a power wire brush until the metal shines, degrease with paint thiner/acetone and melt the solder with a torch works great in the pitting you have.

Bill

Quick Reply: Left Stranded!