Tracking the RS America

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:43 PM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tracking the RS America

Hi folks,

Am curious, is the non-powered steering a problem for the track? I prefer to have a light grip on the wheel for feel. Is it possible in the RSA?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the track. I have friends who race theirs and they're usually complaining about the workout from a short, twisty circuit. I have the power-assist C2 and often hold the wheel with my fingers, so I appreciate your desire to use a light grip.

You may want to stick with skinny tires up front (205's/225's) to maintain a light feel.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on how strong your upper body is. Mine is underdeveloped, to put it kindly, and I love power steering. Always have. The only time when I raced RSA #1 and wasn't fatigued at the end of a race was when I ran Hoosiers and very lightweight modular wheels. Mostly, based on budget, I ran heavy replica Cup 1's with Kumhos.

As mentioned above, it's also very circuit dependent. Out here, Thunderhill, Laguna, Sears and Buttonwillow are taxing.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 PM
gigharbor1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I am new to RL but wanted to put my thoughts in. For 90 degree (and greater) turns, it can be challenging, and is definitely a workout. But IMO you get used to it, and it sort of forces you to focus on finding speed elsewhere. I know of an RSA autocrosser up here that is putting in electronic power steering that runs directly off the battery, or so he says. I don't know anything about it, however.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
tdatk
Advanced

Tell ya what, I'll swap you my power steering setup for your manual rack, even up and I'll even throw in the freight.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:47 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdatk
Tell ya what, I'll swap you my power steering setup for your manual rack, even up and I'll even throw in the freight.
Me? (No one else has professed love of assist.) Including the cam replacement to drive the power steering pump? And the installation of the lines? And. And. And.

I take it you've got extensive experience on manual v. power assist? I can hop in the yellow car and run both at any track event I choose.

Oh, I've got the rack on the wreck of RSA #1 still sitting on the car for whenever I stumble across someone who just absolutely, positively thinks it's the right way to go for a race car.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 PM
tdatk
Advanced

Originally Posted by race911
Me? (No one else has professed love of assist.) Including the cam replacement to drive the power steering pump? And the installation of the lines? And. And. And.

I take it you've got extensive experience on manual v. power assist? I can hop in the yellow car and run both at any track event I choose.

Oh, I've got the rack on the wreck of RSA #1 still sitting on the car for whenever I stumble across someone who just absolutely, positively thinks it's the right way to go for a race car.
I'd do everything except the cam since I'm not in the mood to pull the motor for a rack swap.
By extensive experance, do you mean years or decades? I run manual in my 82 SC track car and power in the 90 964. I prefer the feedback from the manual rack much more than the power assist. Wanna sell your manual rack?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 AM
LPM911
Rennlist Member

i'm no bodybuilder and the only time i've ever noticed that my car doesn't have power steering is when parking the car. this is mostly only an issue when parallel parking on the street with the ra1s or hoosiers still on. always tired after races, but mostly mentally exhausted not really complaining about my arms/upper body on the drive home.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:28 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdatk
I'd do everything except the cam since I'm not in the mood to pull the motor for a rack swap.
By extensive experance, do you mean years or decades? I run manual in my 82 SC track car and power in the 90 964. I prefer the feedback from the manual rack much more than the power assist. Wanna sell your manual rack?
Torsion bar cars are from another planet. Only ones I felt heavy steering with was running 275 fronts. (There's always the bias ply slick factor, but that's more vagueness.)

As I said above, I'm not selling anything (unless it's the compete car, and relatively cheap) since I never know who will pop up and demand a car built/prepped a certain way. And since I've gotten a couple of legitimate inquiries now that I have my shop sort of set up again, who knows what might pop up.

Quick Reply: Tracking the RS America