964 C2 electrical problems, blower A/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:44 AM
bhornby
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 C2 electrical problems, blower A/C

I have a 1990 C2 Targa.

Problem is - on a cool day I pulled the **** out for the rear window defroster. It didn't turn on, and simultaneously the interior blower stopped. Now, thinking they might be on the same fuse, I looked at the blower fuse, #1, and it was good. rear wiper/defrost fuse is 28 and that was blown, and I replaced it. Now interior blower still is off, and if I turn on rear wipers, say, #28 blows again. #1 does not blow, but the interior blower does not come on.

Any ideas or expereince with this? Question is - are the systems connected at some other place I should check? At the moment this is beyond my fiddling about skills though I am OK with electrical stuff if I know where to go.

All suggestions very much appreciated!

Brian
Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only obvious connection I can immediately think of is that the rear window defroster is operated via a relay which is located in the rear electrical panel to the left side of the engine compartment. There is another relay next to which operates the rear blower. If the rear blower doesn't run, the cabin blowers will not operate for more than a few seconds. They are on separate fuses though.

Regards

Dave
Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 PM
bhornby
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much. In fact - I was replacing a burned out brake light bulb tonight (the one high in the window) and after that I started car up to check the brake light, and voila the interior blower started working again. Good news/bad news I guess - I prefer to have a failure then repair it rather then components randomly working and not working. I had been thinking wiring harness issues or some such.... Perhaps the brake light has to be good for the blower to work <g>. Don't you just love these old cars.

Quick Reply: 964 C2 electrical problems, blower A/C