Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your comments requested - how does this look?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The used car world is "buyer beware". What were you thinking when you told potential buyers the car was sold? Same question on ordering the PPI.

Buyer's on the up-and-up make sure the PPI is on their behalf, and not the seller's. They mail the deposit the same day. Mail might take two or three days. Any delay past that is on you. As you are aware, the PPI is on you as well. Hopefully the next buyer will accept it.

Good luck with your sale. It sounds like a great car that will be enjoyed for many years.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM
DrewC2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post edited per comments in later posting.

Last edited by DrewC2; 02-04-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Not that it's the business of anyone on a public car forum, Drew - but the REASON for "probably going forward with the purchase of this car" is the financial side of it that I discussed with you yesterday on the phone.

This car is about 60% of the price, which I can do without a problem. Your car is at the very limit of what I can afford, and I ALSO have a family to keep happy while I'm spending money on my car hobby.

Yes, of course I have been looking at other cars while talking to you - who wouldn't? With cars like these, it's important to consider all options.

And, I told you that one way or another, I would cover the cost of the PPI, also. I told you that.

I really would love to own your car, Drew - it's absolutely spectacular. But it's not looking like I can afford it. That's not 100% yet, but it's looking that way.

So unfortunately, I will probably have to take on more of a project car than an all-out creampuff like yours, because that's what I can afford. Not everyone is affluent.

There has been no jerking around - I said to you from the beginning that my timeframe for buying a car was going to be January / February, didn't I?

I don't appreciate your post, and I request that you remove my name from it.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
DrewC2
Advanced

Yes GoKart, you absolutely should be considering all options and I would be doing the same if in your shoes.

But, if you had intentions of continuing to look around at other cars after finalizing a purchase price with me and plans to secure financing, you should let me know. If you had no intentions of honoring the purchase price and executing a verbal contract, you should let me know. If you had no intentions of sending a deposit & bill of sale, you should let me know. If you do not plan to arrive by the end of the month as previously agreed, you should let me know. These are all things you agreed to in our discussions, I did not put words into your mouth.

Thanks for the acknowledgement that my car is a cream puff. And I don't appreciate being in this situation either...have to admit it's a first for me...and I will remove the previous posts. I'd still appreciate payment for the PPI, but I won't be waiting by the mailbox for a quick and timely payment that will probably never arrive...

Last edited by DrewC2; 02-04-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrewC2
Thanks for the acknowledgement that my car is a cream puff. And if I were affluent I wouldn't be selling the car. And I don't appreciate being in this situation either...have to admit it's a first for me...and I will remove your last name from the previous post. I'd still appreciate payment for the PPI, but I won't be waiting by the mailbox for a quick and timely payment that will probably never arrive...
I have been looking for a 964 for a little while, and have talked to quite a few owners about their cars, some more than others.

I have learned myself over the years that nothing is final until it's final, so I always keep looking at other options until a sale is closed, whether it's on a car, a house, whatever. We had a family back out on a house sale on closing day once, which was not fun, but they had their reasons. Gotta keep looking.

I do apologize for not telling you that ahead of time. Perhaps I should have.

I certainly did not mean to make you feel that you were being strung along. I honestly did have the intent to buy your car, but it seems that it's not to be because I can't make the numbers work the way I need them to. I did intend to proceed with the deposit and all, but when my bank told me that I was not going to get what I had asked for, I chose not to send the deposit until I could get a good answer on the finances.

So, again, my apologies for not being more forthcoming about what was going on behind the scenes. Your car is certainly a creampuff - in fact, it is the cleanest one out of the 20 or so that I have seen either in person or via photograph since I started looking.

Since you and I are done talking about your car, I will go ahead and mail you your $$ for the PPI. I would appreciate it if you would return to this thread to post an update when you receive payment for it.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

No matter what the circumstances, I'm sure it's both hard to let left go of a "cream puff" 964 AND I sure remember I was nervous buying my "cream puff" 964.

Sorry for the stress you both went through... at least these posts got our attention that there is a great 964 out there for sale right now. Someone step up...

Great news that GoKart intends to pay for the PPI also. Multiple PPI can be part of the process.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

If GoKart pays for the PPI, will he allow you to use it to promote the sale with other buyers? That might be a way to restore some of the good will that was taxed during this transaction.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed - this is a transaction gone bad that actually has the chance to turn out "okay".

If GoKart pays for the PPI in full as a gesture of apology in not being as open as he could have been about his intentions (as admitted by GK above) and DrewC2 accepts this apology (and the PPI contributes to a quick sale) then perhaps the Karma all smooths out?

Here's hoping - the world's got enough sorrow in it already - I'd like to see these two 964 fans reconcile and just enjoy thier passion for the world's greatest sports car.

Plus GK - I'd suggest you really want to generate as much good will as you can around here - it's a bottomless resource of help, support and friendship - if you invest with the same committment to good will as has been shown you already.

RK
Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

confused a little.....thought rules of a deal were always
-buyer, never negotiate the buyside unless you have resources to complete the deal/keep the terms.
-seller, if terms not kept promptly negate any further discussions with failed buyer, relist, plan B whatever

gokart you have been posting up buyside for a longtime now on this forum.....seems to me will be difficult for a private seller to deal in confidence with you henceforth.
not sure i agree with you "nothing is final until its final"....if you have reached a deal re price & downpmt. to hold pending p.p.i. or whatever.....then its up to you to fulfill buyside.

for sure -i.m.o. after hearing both sides - you will never negotiate any deal on 964 from this forum unless you pay for the p.p.i. that you incurred in this transaction, and in any future case pay for the p.p.i . up front
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by springer3
If GoKart pays for the PPI, will he allow you to use it to promote the sale with other buyers? That might be a way to restore some of the good will that was taxed during this transaction.
Sure, this would be fine. The PPI can definitely be distributed to anyone who wants to see it, if that's what DrewC2 would like to do. I certainly don't need the Porsche gods frowning on me...

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
confused a little.....thought rules of a deal were always
-buyer, never negotiate the buyside unless you have resources to complete the deal/keep the terms.
-seller, if terms not kept promptly negate any further discussions with failed buyer, relist, plan B whatever

gokart you have been posting up buyside for a longtime now on this forum.....seems to me will be difficult for a private seller to deal in confidence with you henceforth.
not sure i agree with you "nothing is final until its final"....if you have reached a deal re price & downpmt. to hold pending p.p.i. or whatever.....then its up to you to fulfill buyside.

for sure -i.m.o. after hearing both sides - you will never negotiate any deal on 964 from this forum unless you pay for the p.p.i. that you incurred in this transaction, and in any future case pay for the p.p.i . up front
I applied for my funding through my bank over the phone between meetings while I was at work one day - I was given the Thumbs Up on the loan (which was in question because of the amount of the loan as compared to the age and value of the car --- as in, asking for potentially more money than the Blue Book / CPI value), but did not have time to get into the details of it over the phone. I later found that I did not get a great interest rate, etc etc.

As for the PPI - the car was taken for a PPI short notice with the understanding that I would call the dealer and pay for it, then DrewC2 would pick it up at the end of the day. I was, of course, at work that day - the service manager and I called each other and played voicemail tag - we did not connect before the end of the day. I told DrewC2 at that point that no matter what happened with the sale of the car, I would pay for the PPI.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 PM
DrewC2
Advanced

Yes, I'll remove my prior posts if payment for the PPI shows and then clears the bank.

It looks like we've both learned lessons on this failed transaction...more forthicoming communication and not comitting to a deal until you were ready is your lesson learned...and my lesson learned is to not be too nice/lenient on closing sale terms as a seller. I guess I thought in a smaller Porsche forum related transaction it was an OK thing to do. Fortunately my day job is banking and not car sales b/c if anything I don't "sell" the car but rather just honestly represent it.

Look for an update once the PPI payment arrives. If GoKart is willing to pay for and share the PPI I'm willing to share it openly here on the forum or email a copy of it.

Anyway, if someone is interested in a 60.2K mile red/black 964 let me know...I'll be posting a classified thread soon. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 AM
DrewC2
Advanced

The PPI payment was rec'd from GoKart and my prior posts were edited. If anyone is interested in the car, I believe GoKart is willing to share the PPI performed by Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, NC.

Look on AutoTrader.com by 2/5/10 for an ad regarding my '90 964 C2 w/ 60.5K miles...ad includes 27 photos and description.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Baltic964Cab
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting a loan for more than the value of the car = I CAN"T AFFORD IT.

That is 2007 thinking......New world now.

Don't waste people's time....please!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Baltic964Cab
Getting a loan for more than the value of the car = I CAN"T AFFORD IT.
Which is exactly why I didn't buy it.

The car itself is immaculate.

My sincere apologies to DrewC2. Please feel free to pass on the PPI results. Best wishes with the sale and in the future.

Quick Reply: Your comments requested - how does this look?