Sponsored by:

Save Donington Porsche Parade 7th March

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:14 PM
RSGulp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save Donington Porsche Parade 7th March

Many will know that the future of Donington as a race circuit is looking bleak. An action group has been created by racing enthusiast Lee Coombs, to fight for the circuit's survival...

The 'Save Donington' website is here: http://savedonington.co.uk/
You can sign up to support the future of Donington.

The 'Save Donington Group' is planning a 'show of support' with an informal meeting of classic and current sports and race cars to be held at the circuit. 700+ people have already expressed an interest in attending. This also comes with the blessing and support of the Wheatcroft family...

From the website:

"The proposed date for the "parade" is 7th March 2010. This is no protest, or demonstration - it is a "show of support". We want the owners and potential lease-holders to know that we all want to see motor racing at this beautiful circuit again - it should not follow Brooklands into the past."

Some positive news from 6th January here:
http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/ne...l/article.html

Let's get as many Porsches as possible to meet at Donington on 7th March. We will congregate off the circuit in the morning (location TBC) then a take a short drive to the circuit.

I have been in contact with Lee Coombs, the Save Donington organiser, and he would be very grateful for our support. When we have an idea of numbers I will discuss the possibility of creating a Porsche Parking area within the circuit so we have somewhere to congregate when we arrive.

We had a 964 Rennlist meet at Donington last winter and there was a good turn-out despite the weather. Can we do it again in March?

Please add your name to this thread if you want do your bit to try to secure the future of the historic Donington Circuit by coming along on 7th March.

There is a parallel thread running on the PCGB Forum. If you're already listed there please don't duplicate here just to make it easier for me to keep track of total numbers. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 AM
RSGulp
Racer

Any Rennlister's want to do their bit to support Donington? 10 cars so far signed up on PCGB, including 3x 964RS, 1x 964 Cup car freshly imported to UK, 3x964C2, 2x 964C4, 1x 3.2Carrera

Donington needs you.

Ayrton Senna wins the 1993 European Grandprix at Donington:

Donington today:
Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 486 Likes on 231 Posts

At the risk of appearing controversial

I attended the Moto GP meetings at Donington on consecutive years two or three years ago.
The facilities were appalling and when it came time to leave, the car park stewards were nowhere to be seen. As I recall a friend who also attended spent three hours trying to get off the car park ! Donington is a great circuit, but they've ignored the needs of the paying public too long.

IMO the owners of Donington have reaped the benefits from hosting the likes of Moto GP without re-investing the proceeds to upgrade and improve their atrocious facilities.

Whilst I don't like to see our motor racing circuits (and in turn our motor racing heritage) disappear, I'm of the opinion that Donington has treated its race day attendees as cash cows for far too long.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 AM
RSGulp
Racer

Thanks, but let's not turn this thread into a debate about what has happened in recent years. Whatever Donington Ventures Leisure Limited did in the past few years cannot be excused. You just need to Google their name to see how many people and companies have been badly affected.

I'm simply trying to gather a few Porsche owners for a get-together to coincide with the show of support at the circuit.

The custody of the circuit is now in the hands of the Wheatcroft family. They have publicly stated that they are doing everything to restore racing and events to the park as soon as possible.

The parade is not a protest or political statement - it's to show that us motorsport fans and trackday enthusiasts support a future of motorsport in it's many forms at Donington.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 486 Likes on 231 Posts

Hi Rich,

I hope my previous post didn't come across as "having a go" at what you're proposing. I think it's laudable.
Best of luck with the meeting

Quick Reply: Save Donington Porsche Parade 7th March