Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Cabrio A frame desingned for rollover protection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the Cabrio A frame desingned for rollover protection?

I DE my car twice last year and plan to do more this year. I would like to try another DE company due to dates offered, but they will only allow my car if the A frame was designed for rollover protection. Does anyone know if the 964 cabrio A frame is designed for rollover protection and where can I find the information to show such proof? The owners manual says nothing in this regard.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-17-2010, 03:18 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have read its good for one roll. I havent tried it to find out if its true.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Not sure what you mean about the "A Frame".

In most PA regions any Cab in the 964 and 993 series needs a roll bar for DE. Experience as shown that the A pillars collapse in a roll over. I am guessing that the A pillar structure is what you mean by A-frame.

The 996, Boxster and later models have much improved roll over protection and can run without roll bar in most if not all regions of PCA.

Best,
Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the problem I have had. I have one agency that lets the novice group, which is me, ride with my car. Once advanced to intermediate, then I am SOL with my car and the track (I don't really want a rollbar as I have been reading a rollbar is potentially more dangerous in the street without a helmit). I hope to have access to a 944 turbo for future track dates. I can then retire mine to the road.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Not sure what you mean about the "A Frame".

In most PA regions any Cab in the 964 and 993 series needs a roll bar for DE. Experience as shown that the A pillars collapse in a roll over. I am guessing that the A pillar structure is what you mean by A-frame.

The 996, Boxster and later models have much improved roll over protection and can run without roll bar in most if not all regions of PCA.

Best,
Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Fishing, there are rolls bars for your car which are pefectly safe on the street. The bar is too far away to hit with your head. The back seats might not be safe mind you. The rool bars I have seen look very cool in a cab.

Quick Reply: Is the Cabrio A frame desingned for rollover protection?