Sponsored by:

Anyone convert their cabriolet top to full manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 PM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.d-moris-equipments.com/
they have clamshells to fit the 964 however I think it goes in conjunction with the hardtop they sell so you might would have to totally remove the soft top. However maybe it could be modded and raised a little bit with some fiberglass work on the bottom to allow "header" room for your soft top. at that point a regular clamshell could be used and worked the same.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

D-Moris does sell both the Hump - (beach ) speedster look clam shell and a hardtop for the 964. The are sold as separate items. In either case you will need to remove the cab top fully to install. There is no way to make a fiberglass extension that would allow the hard top or speedster clam shell to be used with the cab soft top still mounted on the car as all have to rest / be mounted in the same areas.
You could do it, but my guess is that you would end up with something that you don't want to drive around town in as it would appear to look like Frankensteins brother .
I have removed and installed a hard top on my car and am now looking at a clam shell. But ,I removed the full Cab soft top and all frame work. Mysolution to all this is to change the hard top vs the soft top out twice a year for winter and summer. It takes little time to remove the cab top - off in about 1 1/2 hour. Re-installation is much longer as all has to be checked and aligned to make sure everything works correctly. expect at least half a day.
What I am considering is to have the hard top on in the cold months and then the speedster hump on in the warmer months. But. I want to make a simple soft top that does not use any of the Regular Cab frame work and can be stored below the clam shell. If you look at the speedster roof the frame is very simple tubing and frame work and does not take up very much room. You would loose the tightness of the regular Cab roof as you would have a fabric seal around the door windows instead of the hard frame work that is standard. But - this would be acceptable in warm weather. Here is a pic of my car with primer hard top on it . Still a work in progress.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Anyone convert their cabriolet top to full manual