Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Oil Pressure and B&M Short Shift Questions

All,

I've searched and cannot seem to answer my two specific questions. I may be being too picky, but anyway here are my questions:

1. Oil Pressure - my oil pressure levels are fine, but the gauge seems to jump around a little bit at idle in the 2-3 range. In my 993 the gauge would be more steady and move, but less twitchy. Is this typcial for a 964 or is my pressure sensor starting to show its age?

2. I had the B&M short shift kit installed in the C2 when I first bought the car and it has seen mostly track duty. I'm now driving it on the street daily and the shifting is very knotchy and a bit labored - especially getting into 1st. Would going back to the stock shifter help smooth out the shifting? Is it easy to go back or were modifications made in the typical installation of the B&M that are not reversible?

Thanks everyone,

-Skip
Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'll try to help -

1 - My car's oil pressure usually stays steady at idle (at about 2.4 or so). Only exception would be when I have the AC on, and it will flicker a bit as the compressor kicks on and off.

2 - I think that switching back would solve the problem. Every car I've had with a short shifter has displayed increased notchiness over stock, with varying levels of acceptability.

BTW, you're driving your C2 daily around here right now? I'm still a bit paranoid of residual salt on the roads...though you are inspiring me to get over it.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Skip,

It may be worth checking the bushings on your shift assembly. What you describe is how my C4 felt and it transpired that the plastic bushings were completely shot.

I replaced the two bushings for a cost of about $30 and it feels like new. I had bought a B&M shift kit planning to install it but right now the shift is light and precise so I'm leaving it stock

Neil
Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Guys - that is just what I thought. I'll have to check the bushings for the shifter, but am pretty sure they were replaced when the short shift was installed.

Chase - I'm 10 years into Porsche ownership and on my 2nd car. It took me a number of years to get over using it as a daily driver, but family events required it with my 993 C4S for a year or so. When I bought the 964 it was for a club racer, but I found it sits in the garage too much and I like driving the thing and along with another episode of family events it was a welcome need for me to drive it every day for a while. The roads aren't that bad and since it is a track car it isn't a garage queen nor is it in pristine condition.

Love driving it though!

Skip

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure and B&M Short Shift Questions