Sponsored by:

Driver Side Quarter Window Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:26 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driver Side Quarter Window Water Leak

I've tried the trusty search button, but no one has reported this exact problem.

I'm washing the car the other day to get all the Southern Ontario grit and salt off and notice soap bubbles on the inside of the driver side quarter window, just at the curved part of the window.

It looks like the exterior rubber seal, below the metal surround has shrunk a wee bit and water creeps behind it, then behind the glass, then into the car.

My questions are:

Is this a DIY? The rubber seal is under $100 on Pelican.

I can't find any instructions on removing the quarter window and corresponding rubber seals. Anyone had a go at this?

If it is a DIY, do I need to use any sealant to get it all back together or is this more of a pressure fitting, with no chemicals required?

Thanks in advance,

Cliff
Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Cliff,
I assume the 964 quarter window is the same as that of the 993. If this is the case, the window is held in by the rubber gasket. The black metal trim below the window sits in a bit of sealant and is held in place with small screws.

I've been looking into this as the metal trim on my 993 has started showing corrosion. I've purchased new trim pieces and will need to pull both windows to replace these pieces.

From what I understand, the inner lip gets peeled up enough to allow the window to be forced outwards. When ready to replace, a length of twine is wrapped around the seal, allowing you to pull the inner 'lip' of the window seal inside the car.

Andreas
Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well easy, just push the glass and lip the rubber over the aperture.
May b tight if never removed before, just push more.
You can use a flexible non drying sealent to seal the window, if you dont want to fit a new rubber.

I recently fitted 993 rear quarter glass and rubbers to my 64, fit flusher and have no metal insert.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Quarter Window Water Leak